1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mcredits/PGCE/PGDipEd - bizarre situation - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by mickib, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I have already completed 6 modules for a MA Education with Bath Uni, but opted to exit from the programme (2010) following an extended essay with a PGDipEd, as I couldn't manage the dissertation workload on top of full-time teaching. I now find myself in the situation where I might be doing a PGCE at the same uni, potentially gaining a third of a masters on completion. My question is this: do you think it might be possible to convert the PGDipEd to a Masters? (In theory, the PGDipEd is 2/3 of a masters and the PGCE 1/3...) Would it be too presumptious to ask this at interview? Bizarrely, the whole reason why this seems a bit back-to-front is that I studied for the MA by distance whilst working at an international school - at the time that was the only option for CPD where I was based at the time. The reason for me wanting to do the PGCE is that, although I have 12 years teaching experience, I have no QTS and have not taught for the past 3 years, so getting a teaching job in the UK will be slightly tricky. It's also giving me the opportunity to train to teach a subject I love, rather than what I just 'fell' into teaching.

2. I have already completed 6 modules for a MA Education with Bath Uni, but opted to exit from the programme (2010) following an extended essay with a PGDipEd, as I couldn't manage the dissertation workload on top of full-time teaching. I now find myself in the situation where I might be doing a PGCE at the same uni, potentially gaining a third of a masters on completion. My question is this: do you think it might be possible to convert the PGDipEd to a Masters? (In theory, the PGDipEd is 2/3 of a masters and the PGCE 1/3...) Would it be too presumptious to ask this at interview? Bizarrely, the whole reason why this seems a bit back-to-front is that I studied for the MA by distance whilst working at an international school - at the time that was the only option for CPD where I was based at the time. The reason for me wanting to do the PGCE is that, although I have 12 years teaching experience, I have no QTS and have not taught for the past 3 years, so getting a teaching job in the UK will be slightly tricky. It's also giving me the opportunity to train to teach a subject I love, rather than what I just 'fell' into teaching.

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I would imagine that's not possible, as you won't have done the dissertation (which is basically compulsory for all master's degrees).