1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

McCroning it...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by uberman, Sep 10, 2020.

1. uberman

uberman New commenter

Slightly random question, but I was wondering what the rules were in your school for staff signing out early. My current school has recently decided that you can’t sign out before 2:30, and that’s only after you’ve checked with your line manager and one of the DHT’s that it’s okay.

Seems like a bit of overkill, particularly in the current climate.

I’m fairly sure that other schools I’ve worked in have had no such restrictions, other than notifying your line manager, and waiting until please-takes have been issued.

So, how does it work in your place?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think you should be OK to go provided your FH agreed. No need for any DHT to get involved.

Another example of poor school "management". DHTs should know what being a teacher is like but they want control of your 55, sorry, 35 hours.

Get union advice.

sicilypat likes this.
  3. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

Surely with COVID, you should be encouraged to leave the building if there is no good reason for you being there.
    Empty corridors to my car and home or in a building with over a thousand other people? It’s a no-brained, although I do understand that it can’t be caught within school buildings.

RebeccaHanna and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

You do not have to ask anyone. We tell PT and Office. SMT need not be bothered.

"· all tasks which do not require the teacher to be on the school premises can be carried out at a time and place of the teacher’s choosing: teachers will notify the appropriate manager of their intention in this respect;"

CraigCarterSmith and bigjimmy2 like this.
  5. uberman

uberman New commenter

That’s exactly what I thought, but it’s being played as ‘we need to ensure we have enough staff to cover absence and make sure that we’re staffed for fire alarms.’ Apparently both the EIS and SSTA reps believe that this ‘lies within the responsibilities that we can be asked to stay in school for’ and is a fair thing to ask...

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Seems to me you need new union reps. By way of compromise, I suggest that management need to negotiate a number of staff to be on site at any given point to manage these supposed needs, and designate staff who are under their 22.5 hours as "on call" specific times.

RebeccaHanna and bigjimmy2 like this.
  7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

If you are SSTA you can phone them direct and ask for advice, if you are not then find someone who is.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

That bvllshit makes me angry.

Of course, if you just sign out and go home you'll be marked for life. Sad, pathetic alleged "managers" that shouldn't be allowed to own a pet, never mind have a hold over another human being at their place of work.

Marisha, sicilypat and GuessWho like this.
  9. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

There is no compromise.
    It is in your terms of employment.
    Get your union rep properly informed from head office and let them do the work they were appointed to do if you are wary of standing up to them.

10. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

How many council workers are not allowed to take flexitime in case there is a fire?

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  11. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Spot on

You tell your boss you're going. You don't need to ask, just let them know you're off site for fire purposes.

Micro managing arsehles

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  12. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

I don’t even bother telling anyone. Maybe just lucky to have slipped under the radar so far!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

Has this been 'agreed' after consultation? It is your right as a professional to work in a time and place of your choosing.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  14. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

Ask for the figures for fire safety. Unbelievable! Ask how often a senior manager has been denied CPD for fire reasons!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

As long as you're signed out for fire safety purposes you're absolutely fine. Cover is not your responsibility.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

To slightly deviate from the OP,in the last few years before I retired,I was amazed than new/younger members of staff did not seem to be informed of the right to signing off and when they found out about it (from us oldies),seem to consider it as "skiving" and something they would not do!

17. grayst

grayst Occasional commenter

I think this might depend on how a school does its registration and fire procedures and whether a teacher is directly involved.

For instance in our fire drills we have the kids registering by register class, by the register teacher. I suppose they could argue that those teachers need to be on site all day. But that wouldn't apply to non-register teachers.

This is personally depressing since i have a reg class for the first time in years. Hate it.

18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

They don't tell you that you're entitled to have your union rep with you if, for example, a DHT "wants a word". Sneaky and unprofessional.

Marisha likes this.
  19. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

As stated several times above.

You are allowed to conduct your duties at a time and place of your choosing.

Managers may not like it but they do not have the right to disregard or unilaterally change nation agreements. You only need to inform (not ask) them that you are leaving the building.

Marisha, catmother and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

However,a teacher who has a registration class could be away on a course/other reason, off sick or they could be part-time and they worked in the morning but finished at lunchtime. In all of those cases,someone else would need to check on the registration class during a fire alert.

In the case of the teacher "mccroning" it, as long as the relevant people are aware of the teacher having signed out (line manager informed and signed out in the office book),what happens during to your reg class in case the fire alarm goes off is not your problem. They know you're not there,it's up to them to deal with it.