1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MC Devvo

Discussion in 'Personal' started by George_Randle, Aug 13, 2019.

1. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/13/in-defence-of-mc-devvo/

A schoolteacher has become the latest victim of offence archaeology. Christian Webb was sacked last December from his teaching job at a primary school in Doncaster. His bosses had discovered his involvement in a number of viral comedy rap videos in the mid-2000s. It emerged last week that this was the reason for his dismissal...

Schools are crying out for good teachers. Creativity, a sense of humour, chutzpah, a sharp observational eye, the ability to portray larger-than-life characters… these are all wonderful qualities for a teacher. With his Devvo character, Christian Webb has shown he has all of these.

A wise headteacher would hold on to him, rather than stick him on the dole queue.

Wise headteachers seem to be rarer than rubies these days, but who may abide the ensuing twittering and reactions along the lines of at the end of the day you wouldn't want Ali G teaching your kids?

What does the team think?

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I haven't heard of Christian Webb but Mark Grist (an English teacher) is pretty good.

George_Randle likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If he hadn't committed any crimes that would bar him from teaching, on what grounds was he sacked? If he was a good teacher isn't that all that matters? We live in a stupid, puritanical, hypocritical, judgemental and unreasonable world.

George_Randle, Laphroig and nizebaby like this.
  4. Doitforfree

I'd have loved to have had Ali G as my children's teacher, if he were any good at it. It would have to be better than the clean living Mrs X who claimed that apple only had one syllable because it only has one vowel (wrong on sooo many levels!). Or Mrs Y who didn't know what a quark was. Or young and presentable Mrs Z who had created a worksheet on the use of semi-colons which was utterly, utterly wrong. Give me the good teacher with the interesting background every time!

George_Randle and mothorchid like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There is clearly more to this - the article linked to above and one in the Sun seem to be the only reports..and they say that the chap continued his career as a rapper until 2016, though working at the school for 4 years and as a teacher for a decade.

I'd want to know what his Union said about this, and why he hasn't (as far as we know) appealed/taken his school to a Tribunal...

cissy3 and George_Randle like this.
  6. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

No, schools are crying out for teachers full stop, never mind good ones.

George_Randle likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Devvo was a web classic in his day - I doubt if the gentleman in question would have lost his job if he taught in FE college. If Daisy May and Charlie Cooper of BBC's This Country became teachers would there be an outcry? Move on.

8. Doitforfree

Might they have gone for bringing the school into disrepute or something like that? I don't know how these things work but I've heard of similarly vague and subjective clauses being used against people.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Probable. One of his songs includes the verse, “On forty shags a night, hold her down do it right” and a chorus that repeats “f**.k ‘em while they’re young”. :(

It was claimed (I don't know if it is true) that he directed his primary aged pupils to his youtube channel to enjoy the delights of such lyrics.