1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe we will all get back before the end of term?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CabbageWhite20, Jun 3, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

This is interesting about the plans for Wales: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52895374
    I wonder if we will have something similar in England (with the obligatory oneupmanship of it being 2 days earlier or similar). If so and the dates are inflexible maybe private schools will extend their summer term just so we can get everyone back in before the end.
    If it was safe I’d love to see my kids again and give them a bit of closure on this year and do all of the transfer talks about September face to face.

2. CabbageWhite20

Even though I’ve worked harder in the last couple of months than I have since I was an NQT! I’d still give up a week of holiday to see them again and ‘finish’ things.

sabrinakat and Abitofeverything like this.
  3. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I think it would be impossible for our school to do this as even with the 20 children in school, at the moment, they can only safely distance 5 in each classroom and that was a logistical nightmare, according to my deputy head.

I'm still Zoom teaching every day from home and though I miss seeing the children properly, I'm enjoying some form of daily contact.

4. CabbageWhite20

I teach online all day everyday too.

I think the welsh idea is that everyone comes back, but in a staggered return and schools can choose how to implement it. So the current arrangements for Y6 could be used, but with other year groups instead. They suggested 1/3 school at a time. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a logistical nightmare but if it was safe and doable I think some sort of end of year closure would be really good for these kids (though it might be hard to explain it’s not an end of year party and they can’t all hug each other).

Not many of our Y6 have returned because the online learning has been a bit too successful and their parents are happy to keep them at home. Those who are in are 5 to a room like yours. We do still have lots of empty classrooms, but corridors/toilets etc would be complicated. I’m not actually sure you could do it for 1/3 of the school.

5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I wouldn't. Our leadership team have been inept, our parents have been foul and our student engagement with remote learning is running at about 60% in years 5-8. The best outcome for me this year will be to get to the end without submitting the resignation which I've written and polished over the last couple of weeks.

sabrinakat and Treesa like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

The thing is, the virus doesn't respond to our timetable. Just because going back before the end of term would give "closure" to us, that has no effect what so ever on the pandemic running its course.

I don't think we will all be back in September. I have heard November, January and Easter all suggested as the earliest time all children will be back in school

steely1 likes this.
  7. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

Luckily we’ll already be on holiday by 29th June! Even if it dates were extended there is no chance it would work for us as a majority boarding school, as pupils would have to come in as day pupils, and even those in the UK mostly live too far away to come without using public transport.

Maybe I’m cold hearted, but I am really not that bothered about seeing my students before summer.. I’ve still got enough time to serve that I will see plenty more students in my time, and I can’t say that this year’s lot stand out much beyond the usual..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  8. CabbageWhite20

That made me laugh! It’s been a long term and I’ll be glad when it’s over too.

9. CabbageWhite20

I know it’ll all be decided by science (ha!). I wouldn’t push for it. I can just see that some of mine will be a bit at sea being thrown in at the deep end in September, particularly where there are big transitions eg pre-prep to prep and from stage to stage in the senior school. That bit of time where they learn where they will be going in September and what will happen there is hugely important. Not as important as being safe, but important nonetheless.

steely1 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This makes me so sad.
    Much of this is down to the first point and is entirely directed by SLT.
    You deserve better, but find something new before resigning.

drvs likes this.
  11. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

The prep school at my place opens to all on Monday!!! They have taken some classrooms in the senior school to allow for distancing. So happy for all the students. In the senior school we've got y10 and y12 next week too so I will actually get to teach a few "normal" lessons before the summer.

12. CabbageWhite20

Yes - we’re bringing back all years that can spend the whole day with their form teacher too. The older ones who have subject teachers are continuing with online learning for now.

snowfairy likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

WOW! We were told in staff meeting that our insurance wouldn't cover more year groups as the government hasn't specifically said they must return.
    We haven't really the space for them to be honest, so no a bad thing.

14. CabbageWhite20

Hmm. We aren’t back yet so I wonder if this will happen to us too.

15. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

We're definitely opening. I think the statement made about flexibility to allow schools with the means to open more widely to do so has allowed us to...... I'm so glad. 80% that could came back June 1st and they're expecting similar uptake for next week. The majority of our parents want it. I know my 2 need it for their mental health. I'm sure my son could have become a school refuser if he'd been off till September - he such a home boy....

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It doesn't seem to have attracted much attention, but Public Health England have at last launched a much needed study to assess and monitor the prevalence and transmission of COVID-19 among pre-school, primary and secondary school pupils.

Up to 200 teachers and pupils will be voluntarily swab tested in up to 100 schools (including 15 in London) by the end of this summer term, with results to be published in August. A small proportion of schools will also be offered antibody tests.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/study-launched-to-monitor-prevalence-of-covid-19-in-schools

17. CabbageWhite20

We’re insured and going back.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

If furlough had lasted much longer for me, I might have joined him the school refusing camp!

snowfairy likes this.
  19. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Same, we only have one class per year group and being a Victorian house, classrooms are too small.

I have been asked if I would like to tutor a group of year 5 children during summer holiday to prep them for 11+. It will be one day a week. I'm jumping at it as been Zoom teaching since Easter so will be a welcome change.

20. CabbageWhite20