1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe,possibly,definitely stopping in 2019

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by catmother, Aug 15, 2018.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This session is going to be make or break. If I keep feeling the way I felt all of last year,that will be me.

I nearly left this year but did not want to leave in anger and at the end,it was also,insert swear word, Brexit that stopped me from resigning.

Anyone else considering making this their last year?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I will be 60 this academic year so who knows?
    In my 50s I have been made redundant and left teaching
    Rejoice Ned took my pension and left again
    Just signed one year temporary contract

Who knows?
    Could be third time lucky!!

Jamvic and Startedin82 like this.
  3. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

As I have said in a previous thread - I am going at Easter 2019. I would go at Xmas but I don't want to leave my school in the lurch (I'm a primary HT and my Deputy does not want to act up - even for a term). Really don't think I could face the whole school year. I am embarking on my 37th year this September (full time). It's enough.

I've already drafted my resignation letter!

Good luck with your decisions.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We will see how this year goes.
    However,when I dropped hints that I had been unhappy last year and that this year could well be my last one (despite not being 60 yet),my HOD did not even bother with the fake but polite "don't do that,we'll miss you". So,here we are!

lindenlea and Startedin82 like this.
  5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Good luck, and sorry you've not been feeling great.

However, I must say that I appear to come at things from quite a different angle. The implication of your post is that you could go at the end of the year, and indeed could have gone last year. Well, for me, if that were the case, I'd have gone.

As soon as I can go, I will. Until that time, the only thing keeping me working is that I can't afford not to.

So, much as I'd like to go, I can't.

But presuming you can go (if it were not financially possible there's absolutely no point in asking the question) I can't understand why you just don't go. I'd be out of the door in a heartbeat.

Best wishes.

bevdex, Jamvic and Startedin82 like this.
  6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

They're taking the money under false pretences then.

Jamvic and lindenlea like this.
  7. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Bit harsh. She's recently appointed. Obviously she will deputise for me in my absence but it's quite a large complex school and it would be difficult for her to lead it for a term. By going at Easter I enable my GB to appoint an experienced HT to be my successor.

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Retirement really is a curse as well as a joy.

For example, I've spent all weekend firstly booking a Wizzair flight to Budapest leaving in two weeks, then trying to work out and booking the train routes from Budapest to Bucharest, then round the coast back into Hungary, on to Istanbul, Ankara, up to the Black Sea and along into Georgia then Armenia, before flying to the south coast to walk some of the St Paul's route, then back to Istanbul and on to Israel for two weeks, a week in Egypt for a cruise and back to the UK for the middle of October. It's been a nightmare trying to figure how many days to spend at each place, allowing for some flexibility and not rushing things too much.

No one lies on their death bed, wishing they'd worked harder and longer. And soon, it will be your turn!

9. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

echo you thoughts binaryhex, I feel like a different person already.

I am sleeping longer and better, eating better and losing the big belly because I am much more physically active. I also have time for people .

would be interested in your report on St Paul's route, I presume you will use Kate Clow's book. We have done the Lycian way, which was great and have our eye on the Carian trail in the next year or two.

lardylegs and Jamvic like this.
  10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I think I hate you! Or I will do until I’m doing something similar next year!

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

It’s funny Peter,; as soon as you CAN go the stresses are lowered just by that very fact. So you find you can do a bit more. Plus you get used to having the money and fret about dropping to a third; especially if you have offspring at uni.

lardylegs and PeterQuint like this.
  12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

ME!

bevdex and Jamvic like this.
  13. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

catmum wrote
    "This session is going to be make or break. If I keep feeling the way I felt all of last year,that will be me.

I nearly left this year but did not want to leave in anger and at the end,it was also,insert swear word, Brexit that stopped me from resigning.

Anyone else considering making this their last year?"

Aw catmum, Sounds like you are in the same position I was in this time last year. I wish I had retired a year earlier without working my last year, which was actually worse than the year before! Sorry if this sounds negative - just saying it as it is, as you often do yourself!!!!! Or are we both just hardened old cynics.......?
    Have a good day!

Startedin82 likes this.
  14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Retirement is really good. It is like a summer holiday, without the nasty thing that happens at the end.

Jamvic, stopwatch, eljefeb90 and 3 others like this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm 55 next year so looking forward to the notion of can if I want to . I'm thinking of two more years but Mr GW is not only retired 8 years but also 15 years older than me. Do I really want to retire when he's 82? I don't think so. We'll have far less money but we're not big spenders anyway.

16. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm retiring next year too as a part time SENCO. I'm very happy at work and have 2 fantastic head teachers but never want to be someone who others ask 'why hasn't she retired yet?' I'm looking forward to my last year at work and then to doing other things.

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  17. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

DEFINITELY going at the end of this academic year... I've already dropped my SLT TLR point and looking forward to just teaching. Except... that we may be in the position of having to make redundancies if I don't go in August 2019..........should I just go or hold out for voluntary redundancy?

lardylegs likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My father-in-law's funeral was yesterday. He was going to be 74 in 2 weeks.

Time with your husband is more precious than a few more years of cash.

lardylegs, Jamvic, tall tales and 2 others like this.
  19. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

[QUOTE="bevdex, post: 12592713, member: 115836 Except... that we may be in the position of having to make redundancies if I don't go in August 2019..........should I just go or hold out for voluntary redundancy?[/QUOTE]

It is very rare that redundancies actually happen. Usually natural wastage and not filling vacancies, increasing class sizes, less non contact time are used. Just go when you want. Retirement is a joy!

lardylegs, bevdex, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  20. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We had voluntary redundancies this year but I was too young to get retirement and not everyone that went for it, got it. They will come round again but maybe not for two years.

lardylegs likes this.