1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe my last parent meeting - still nervous after 32 years of them

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by gooddays, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Meeting "E"'s parents at 12:40 today. They're not happy about his Math comment on his report card. They've cancelled twice. I write these report card comments "under the gun", the reports due to administration Feb. 10, to go home two weeks later. I often feel I don't know enough about a child's work and so write something vague. Now, six weeks later, I am explaining those vague comments to the parents. Won't miss this chore in the future.

2. gooddays

Meeting "E"'s parents at 12:40 today. They're not happy about his Math comment on his report card. They've cancelled twice. I write these report card comments "under the gun", the reports due to administration Feb. 10, to go home two weeks later. I often feel I don't know enough about a child's work and so write something vague. Now, six weeks later, I am explaining those vague comments to the parents. Won't miss this chore in the future.

3. LOL. I sympathise. In recent years, I've given up trying to say anything sensible about any pupil in a report. Why? Because in recent years, I've had to teach more and more pupils and my free time has been cut back to the bone. This year, I teach nearly 350 pupils every week - and have 5 hours non-contact time. What exactly does the Head expect!!! Parents evening is the one I hate - having to try and talk vaguely in a specific sort of way, as if I even know who I'm taking about! Still, one more Yr 10 parents evening and we're done forever.

4. gooddays

You are in a very challenging position, mymoose. I just have the 20 little gaffers and this "last" parent meeting seems to go on and on. I just teach afternoons - Math, Religion, Social Studies, Physical Education. This parent's concern was with Math, but she asked the a.m. teacher to be present as well. I was embarassed to be criticized for my Math teaching with my colleague there. The parent sent an e-mail to the school secretary yesterday reiterating her concerns, but addressing them to the other teacher. The secretary wisely gave it to me and I have just spent the morning - my free time - responding to the letter. No marking done, no lessons planned, just responding to a parent whose 7-year-old son received a C in Number Sense and Numeration and a C+ in Patterning and Algebra. She took pains to tell me that she and her husband are both well educated and have successful careers.
    65 days to go, according to my Number Sense and Numeration!

5. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

56 teaching days left!

6. gooddays

Lucky you! Here in Ontario, we're at school until June 29th.

7. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

So are we. But, just about to get 2 weks off for easter!

8. gooddays

We get Good Friday and Easter Monday. Enjoy your 2 weeks, alfredrussell!