1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe it is time to kill off drama in schools.

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Retro Bates, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I disagree. Probably as I wouldn't touch Blood Brothers with the proverbial poostick.

Students are often limited by their teacher's willingness to try new ideas or to take real risks that challenge students and teacher alike. We are role models and as such we have great opportunities to change opinions and guide students interests.

I am speaking fresh from completing the final round of practical performances for AS/A2 and GCSE where my students excelled with performances in the style of Verbatim, Frantic Assembly, Complicite and Kneehigh and Berkoff. Their excitement, creativity and enthusiasm was repaid and, once again, I was entertained and impressed beyond my expectations.

We live in exciting times creatively. As a practitioner I do not look at what other schools do, I focus on delivering the best, most current curriculum to MY students.

2. <address>I think/hope for the most part you are speaking for yourself here - I am relatively new to teaching drama so can't really speak for the 70's (!) but I pride myself in teaching a curriculum that is diverse, modern, historical, abstract, classic, etc etc. Yes it is hard not to get worn down by assessments and all that but ultimately what you teach in your classroom is your choice and your responsibility to keep it fresh and relevant. And for the record I wouldn't touch Blood Brothers with a barge pole.</address>