1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maybe I did too well....

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Jun 22, 2019.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Just thought I would share this story. I taught a girl in year 11 this year (Sophie). She is a bright girl and will properly get a grade 5. She did no work before I started working with her and from what she tells me wasn't very well behaved at school. I would say she is one of my biggest suggest stories and if I had started working with her a year earlier she would be looking at a grade 7. Sophie has a brother in the year below (Justin). There father was very happy with Sophies's progress and said he may want me to work with Justin next year. I ask my students to complete an exam paper every week. I email these to the parents, I ask the students to mark the paper and if there is anything they aren't sure about we go over it in the lesson. Bare in mind that I taught Sophie trigonometry from scratch. She said she had never done it at school, more likely she was misbehaving and got removed from the lessons or wasn't listening. Towards the end of the year he asked if all Sophie needed to do was complete the exam papers. I said yes, so he has decided that he doesn't need me every week for Justin and that he has the exam papers so he is just going to make Justin do the exam papers. He has asked me if I would see Justin a couple of times to make sure he is doing okay. The father has completely missed the point of what I have done with Sophie, I am a little insulted but I have had lots of recommendations from other clients and also of parents asking me to teach brothers and sister. I am nearly full up for September so it isn't a case of I need the work but it's just that the father thinks all I did was get Sophie to do some exam questions!

(Obviously I have changed the names)

2. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I sometimes get the opposite problem that people give too much credit to the tutor and think that they can achieve miracles. I had one particularly bright and hardworking boy who got grade 9 in almost all subjects..He recommended me to several friends, apparently telling them they'd be certain of a grade 9 if they had me as a tutor!

Piranha likes this.
  3. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I guess some people don't fully understand what we do. At least you don't need the student, and it will be up to you if you want to be available for them for odd lessons, or not. I think if it were me, I'd not put myself out too much for this family. They will realise eventually the value you added.

I only ever share resources digitally if I'm happy for people to use them for free. Anything else is printed and partially completed in the lesson.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

Someone should tell him he could have got all the papers free online if he'd known where to look.