1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May the Brexiter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 23, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Her vote to remain is a fact.

How did my MP vote on the EU?
    Type all or part of an MP or constituency name to see if they were due to vote LEAVE or REMAIN (Updated June 21)
    • Name Party Constituency Vote
    • Teresa Pearce Lab Erith and Thamesmead REMAIN
    • Thangam Debbonaire Lab Bristol West REMAIN
    • Theresa May Con Maidenhead REMAIN
    • Theresa Villiers Con Chipping Barnet LEAVE
    • Thérèse Coffey Con Suffolk Coastal REMAIN
    Perhaps her whole approach is due to the fact that, as a member of the government which promised that the will of the people would be respected, she is attempting to ensure just that.

'The New European' is not exactly an unbiased source!

We‘re campaigning against Brexit because we believe it’s a potential disaster for both Britain and Europe. Since we launched we’ve been at the forefront of the argument for a People’s Vote.

install likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

May is a party loyalist - the party wants brexit so that's the path she's followed.

She may well in the end get the deal through.

But it is also the case that she is utterly hopeless.

nomad likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm looking forward to the time when we have a PM again who is capable of governing the country and not obsessed with becoming a legend in the history of her own party (if nowhere else).

What a mess she has made of brexit - is there a mark below zero that she could be awarded.

eljefeb90, nomad and monicabilongame like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm certainly no fan of Theresa May but I can't think who, in her party, I would prefer. The whole thing is a tragic mess but she's not running away when it gets tough like a few we could mention.

SundaeTrifle, cissy3, nomad and 2 others like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She is very resilient - but not very competent.

nomad, Sally006 and ilovesooty like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wasn't the Referendum by secret ballot? If so, we actually don't know how May (or anyone else) voted...

anotherauntsally and phlogiston like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm hoping Jacob Rees-Cholmondeley-Warner takes over - it'd consign them to electoral oblivion until at least the 20th century.

cissy3 and InkyP like this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That is the key element with May. As Home Secretary she could fudge and hide her incompetence, indecision and her ‘my way or the highway’ approach to policy making. As PM, her flaws can’t be hidden and her incompetence shines for all to see.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think her complete lack of personality and empathy has been a real handicap.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Votes in Parliament, the 'ayes' and 'noes', are matters of public record.

12. install

install Star commenter

May has impressed me in ensuring that the Outcome of a Majority Referendum is being delivered as best as possible. It seems to me, her strength is in standing up for that democratic vote again and again. In hindsight, maybe more mps should have resigned though when Cameron did if they felt unhappy with the manifesto, the referendum or the Outcome. When she says other mps are 'subverting democracy' , it seems she has a point. And resignations over Brexit at this very late stage seems like game playing to me.

Clearly, people around her and against her were hoping she would crack. Possibly, so they could continue with their own agenda. But May is strong - and she is the only leader good enough at this moment in time. The irony is that she is deep down a Remainer - yet, she has the strength of character to put the Outcome before her own selfish desires. If only other mps could do the same eh ?.:)

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

14. FrankWolley

The referendum wasn't a vote in the HoC though... We actually only have her word that she voted 'Remain' (which, I think, was the point being made by the OP).

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Have you read Matthew Parris' piece in The Times?

"Time and again I’ve protested that she [May] may not be the answer but she didn’t create this mess: she’s just an unimaginative, unremarkable, perhaps wooden but dogged politician, overly cautious and rather shy. Time and again my informants — MPs, former MPs, civil servants, special advisers — tell me, eyes flashing, that I’ve got it wrong and the public have it wrong, and she’s so much worse than that. She’s not normal. She’s extraordinary. Extraordinarily uncommunicative; extraordinarily rude in the way she blanks people, ideas and arguments. To my surprise there is no difference between the pictures of her that Remainers and Brexiteers paint.

Theresa May, they tell me (in a couple of cases actually shouting) is the Death Star of modern British politics. She’s the theory of anti-matter, made flesh. She’s a political black hole because nothing, not even light, can escape. Ideas, beliefs, suggestions, objections, inquiries, proposals, projects, loyalties, affections, trust, whole careers, real men and women, are sucked into the awful void that is Downing Street — and nothing ever comes out: no answers, only a blank so blank that it screams. Reputations (they lament) are staked on her, and lost. Warnings are delivered to her, and ignored. Plans are run by her, unacknowledged. Messages are sent to her, unanswered. She has become the unperson of Downing Street: the living embodiment of the closed door."

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What! You think a politician might have lied!!!!!:eek:

17. FrankWolley

I know, how shocking that would be...;)

phlogiston likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

And Parris is a (former?) friend, who knew the Mays socially as well as working with her as a fellow Tory MP.:eek:

Actually this reminds me of a description of Gordon Brown as PM I received from a friend whose job brought him into the orbit of Brown & his top advisers.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..and yet she got elected leader.

I'm sure the ERG regard her with complete contempt - a willing and unquestioning stooge who has made them infinitely more important than they should be by throwing her lot in with them.

Once she's done what they want - she will be disposed of as quickly as possible.

ilovesooty and monicabilongame like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Someone else said of May (and I can't remember who it was) that May never changes her mind and just doesn't comprehend why anyone else ever would.

But she will be put out her misery soon - the sooner the better really.