1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May I ask if this would influence your decision

Discussion in 'Personal' started by katherinelily, Aug 16, 2011.

1. We are house hunting and finally agreed on two properties we both like very much (no small achievement.) The properties are an identical price and while they are not similar to one another, the pros and cons of each are even.
    One couple selling their home were lovely, kind and welcoming, the other lady much less so and a little abrasive. The couple wish to downsize and move close to their grandchildren: the single lady we don't know about.
    Given that we like the properties equally, would you be more inclined to make an offer on the house where the couple are being pleasant? Or is this silly?
    Thanks.

2. We are house hunting and finally agreed on two properties we both like very much (no small achievement.) The properties are an identical price and while they are not similar to one another, the pros and cons of each are even.
    One couple selling their home were lovely, kind and welcoming, the other lady much less so and a little abrasive. The couple wish to downsize and move close to their grandchildren: the single lady we don't know about.
    Given that we like the properties equally, would you be more inclined to make an offer on the house where the couple are being pleasant? Or is this silly?
    Thanks.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

That is silly.... completely ridiculous. You won't be sharing with these people and probably won't ever see them again! Make this massive financial decision based on which house would best suit you and your needs.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Not at all, if everything else is equal. It's a long road from offer to completion and goodwill on both sides really helps.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Not silly at all. It's exactly the way I would feel about it.

6. Thank you.
    Property 1 is a cottage style property and is only a ten minute commute to my workplace and approximately the same for my husband. The main downside to this property is that it does need fairly extensive work being done to the inside (according to my husband, I have to confess it looked okay to me!) The main 'issue' is there is nowhere secure to park and despite being in a rural location the country road it is on is one where cars go quite fast.
    Property 2 is a newer build and needs little if any work doing. It is smaller than property 1 but has secure parking. It is a little further from my workplace but only by another ten minutes. It is on a quiet cul de sac although our current property is on a quiet street and the noise children make has been a real issue.
    I have to admit I am more inclined towards property 1 and the kindness the current occupiers have shown us has influenced my decision.

7. I agree with Mandala.
    Having recently bought my first home, I am SO grateful that the previous owner (well the previous owner were an elderly couple but their son did all the communiction) was so nice. They were willing to accept a healthy offer, and also agreed to knock a further amount off the price when a small damp probem was exposed half way through. They were also in contact with us directly when necessary, so we could put pressure on the solicitors from both sides - and saved us the 1 hour journey to the estate agents to pick up the keys by offering (after agreement by the estate agent) to hand them over to us directly (we were moving 20 seconds away so this was handy!).
    It is a nerve-wracking time, lots of waiting for decisions, problems come up and need to be resolved...if you are dealing with somebody who seems genuine and warm, it will help.
    That said, if I preferred a different house this wouldn't have swayed me - only if they were equal in our opinion.
    Have you thought carefully about the respective area's? Have you met the neighbours? I am also so grateful that I already knew the area was pleasant, and found out about the neighbours (and met them in passing) before hand.
    Is it worth putting a cheeky offer in on the one with the nice owners to see if they accept or give you a good counter offer? This happened with us, and we accepted their counter offer because it was below what we were willing to go up to anyway!
    If they decline or counter offer a high price, you could then put an offer in on the other property in the mean time. You're in quite a good position as if they decline you could say "Oh dont worry then I have a property in mind of equal price that I will put an offer in for." and make them stew for a few days.

8. If you don't feel that you HAVE to have the house, then it's not the one - in my experience. If there is an equal choice of two, write down all the pros and cons. Otherwise, I guess you only know which house you really wanted is when someone else buys it.

9. the country road it is on is one where cars go quite fast.
    Do you have children?

10. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

All things being equal, I would go where the neighbours are better! You might get a more honest answer from the friendly couple though, but good neighbours would be the deciding factor if everything else was the same.

11. Thank you. I love the house anyway, so helping a lovely couple is a huge bonus, but I'm glad to be able to as the house appears to have been on the market for some time.

12. No, they are desperately wanted however.
    The cottage does have a large garden at both the front and the back of it: no one would walk straight out and be on the road. It is a consideration though certainly.
    The main 'con' of this house is the work which needs doing inside.

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If you're thinking of kids... easy parking is a must... We moved from a town house out to a farm when I was pregnant, and I'm really glad we did. It means I can leave wee one asleep in the car safely, haven't got to haggle for a parking space etc.

14. The parking difficulty is that it is by the side of the house and not easy to access: it does exist. Besides, we may not be able to have children (have been trying for two years) so I don't want to make an important decision based on something that may not happen for years, if at all.
    It is a factor certainly but then I would also want children to have a garden to play in.

15. Think about any pets you might have with the main road too.

16. The cat is an indoor cat, always has been. The garden is secure and our dog could go out in it but she prefers to be where we are.
    I do appreciate these points but really, I have thought very carefully about all aspects to both houses and they are more or less equal. The road is not a 'main' one, it is a rural country lane where national speed limit applies so some vehicles are very fast.

17. I totally agree! If you have to think about which one would be best, I would not think either was my perfect house. I think the house decides for you in that it is a must have purchase rather than a shall I or sha'nt I?

18. I think in your heart you have already decided that the nice couple's house is the one you want. Your head is saying that perhaps the other one needing less work is better. I would go with my heart if all else were equal.

19. You've made your mind up :) Let us know how you get on! Play hard with your offering - it's still a buyers market, and if it's been on a while they are probably desperate to sell.

20. Not strictly speaking no impulce but with regard to everything mentioned yes - we wouldn't be considering making an offer on a home where either our pets or potential children would be at risk.
    I wouldn't personally make an offer under around £7000 of the asking price (unless of course the asking price was very high.)