1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May be fit to work...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ACVX, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ACVX

ACVX New commenter

Since half term, I have been observed once per week, due t vague concerns about "classroom practice". This has now gone over NASUWT's limit of 3 observations/3 hours, but according to SLT, because it is "informal" and "support", those rules don't apply. This side of things has been passed on to my union.
    In my teens, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. They haven't been an issue for a few years, so I didn't disclose them to the school when I started (September 2018). In the past couple of weeks I did disclose the anxiety, as it had become an issue again. It was recommended that I try yoga.
    I went to my doctor yesterday, about some blood tests. The result of these suggests the stress from work is having a major impact on my physical health. My doctor gave me a "may be fit for work" form, that suggest I may benefit from a phased return to work (not really applicable as I haven't been off)/amended duties/altered hours/workplace adaptations. My question is, what can I actually ask for? Obviously I can't ask to stop teaching classes, or not mark their work...but is there anything I can ask for?

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

No...you need to get the GP to sign you off sick first! Then have the phased return. Many of us on here have been there. You need time out. Maybe wait to get meducations to work. Is 21 st century teaching really the job you want to do? It is so stressful and deranged...plenty of other careers outbthere which do not make you this unwell. I say this because I ignored this advice four years ago and stayed in post in a toxic school. I too had underlying health problems. Mine were undiagnosed and the sudden spike in stress nearly ended me. Stress is our biggest enemy. If you can avoid it, do so!

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

TBH my GP did in the past use this part of fit notes to make the school consider reasonable adjustments.

BTW there is no reason why a reasonable adjustment could not include reduced duties which could include out of hours working. A RA merely has to be reasonable in all the circumstances, for a organisation as large as a a secondary school, cost unless very large is not a valid reason to dismiss the adjustment.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. ACVX

ACVX New commenter

I'm trying to avoid being properly signed off by making some adjustments, I just have no idea what sort of things I could ask for - my question is if anyone has specific suggestions of adjustments I could ask for?
    I know if I just came in with the form SLT would ask what adjustments I wanted, and if I don't have any suggestions, they will assume I don't want any and ignore it.

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Remember although SLT/School may ask you what RA you want it is not for you to tell them, it is for the employer to suggest.

What I am trying to say is that the school cannot abdicate their responsibility by saying that they asked you you made suggestions they implemented and they didn't work so thats that.

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

In my experience they tend to avoid adjusting. Their contribution to an employee returning after heart surgery was pitiful. They want a lean mean and temp workforce now and I would avoid admitting any weakness. They tend to undermine rather than support. Your doctor is the opposite, Trust your GP. It is easier to ask for adjustments after being signed off, I found. Then I left anyway because I realised the SLT were just paying lip service to what occy health had suggested.

agathamorse likes this.