1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May be a silly question...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jellylegs11, Oct 4, 2018.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

Can you as head move your own children into your school if you are out of the catchment area?

This may be a silly question.
    I'm just looking at applying for a post which is half an hour away and my children are in the school I currently work in but ideally would like them to be at my school.

Such a hard decision

2. It would depend on if the school had spaces just as anyone applying for out of catchment place. Being the head wouldn’t give you special circumstances. Some academy trusts do have staff children higher on admissions criteria than catchment I believe!

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no. why should you?

4. jellylegs11

@dunnocks
    Why should I?
    I'm not sure what you mean

abacus1982 likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why should you be able to leap frog over every other parent and child?

Unless there are vacancies and no waiting lists, in which case you are free to move your children anywhere you want

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yep - As long as there's spaces for them. Or, you could go over PAN, subject to the school's admissions policy/over-subsrciption criteria.

abacus1982 likes this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

If there's spaces when you apply then no issue, they can have a place. Also check the admissions policy as it may be written in there that children of staff are high on the list. I know many schools that have this in their admissions policy.

strawbs likes this.
  9. jellylegs11

Thanks so much for your replies. This has been very useful.