1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May backs grammar school expansion

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Aug 7, 2016.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

So more change for no good reason. Why?

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The Tories only want to properly finance one decent school per town.

The rest can go hang.

It'll be cheaper.

needabreak, emerald52 and Compassman like this.
  3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Bit of a problem in East Anglia where there often isn't a school in every town to start with. Already many of the fenland schools are really struggling. They can't retain staff. Kids have really long journeys already without another round of closures and arbitrary selection barring them access to any choice. Another London decision that overlooks the needs of the provinces.

claire_jean_ and emerald52 like this.
  4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The Tories want to sell off the state school system - in so far as it still exists - to their tacky little friends who, by a strange coincidence, pay substantial bribes make significant donations to the Tory party finances. That's cheaper still.
    One hand rubs the other. Gleefully.

5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I wouldn't want to work in the Fens, so I'm not surprised. Can't imagine that education or teachers are particularly respected in that part of the world.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

According to the Halifax, Ely offers the best quality of life in the UK. Higher than average salaries, larger than average houses, longer average life span and more hours of sunshine than the UK average.

wanet and emerald52 like this.
  7. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

the Fens is a great place and the youngsters in my town are friendly and polite - JL48.

JosieWhitehead, wanet and emerald52 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ely cathedral is a fantastic building. The area around the river is lovely too and the town/very small city has a nice vibe.

wanet and emerald52 like this.
  9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I visit Ely a lot as my aging parents are there. It's a pretty town that has lost all its identity. It's one of the towns in the UK that has suffered from mass immigration in a tiny number of years and changed the make-up of the town beyond recognition. The schools have very low achievement now. Original residents feel they are a minority, that no one is listening to them. Unemployment amongst British youth is one of the highest in the country and rents have risen dramatically in recent years. A visit to the shops is like a visit to Eastern Europe. It's a horrible place now that you wouldn't wish on anyone. Few self-respecting teachers want to move there I suspect because of the imported social problems and lack of cohesion in the community, which has all but been destroyed. I doubt most politicians could even find Ely on the map, such is their lack of interest in non-London matters. If you are thinking of a week in Romania for a holiday, why bother. Just go to Ely.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  10. SteveKindle

SteveKindle Occasional commenter

Back to the thread.

It won't happen, will it?

Labour and the LDs will all vote against, as will the SNP (if they're allowed to vote, of course).

That means there'll only need to be a handful of Tory rebels to stop it happening, and I know that a lot of tories disagree with this.

florian gassmann likes this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Not sure Ely is typical Fens though is it? Agree that it is a no no in rural areas but May's constituency is Maidenhead in Berkshire. 2 grammars remajn Reading and nearby are the Buckinghamshire grammars so the comprehensives have competition already in the state system as well as middle clases able to afford private. MP's in Tory areas like these have pressure from voters.

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

There are lots of advantages to having more grammars so support them fully. Write to your MP telling him / her to support them.

More grammars mean more children will be taught in environments where they can learn, instead of having to compete in classes with 3 or 4 feral kids, who monopolise the teacher's time. Feral students can be lumped together and given the support feral students need. More grammars mean many more jobs where teachers can teach children who want to learn instead of spending their time on behaviour management.

As an alternative, why not have a reverse grammar school system, where everyone sits an exam and the bottom 20% goes to a school more akin to their needs? The teachers in primary schools should also be able to pass on those kids who still haven't learnt to behave and are clearly not ready for secondary school yet. They should be put in their own special school, where they can stay until they and their parents decide that actually, destroying other students's education isn't very clever and they will behave after all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

1. So you are in effect asking primary school teachers to condemn a child at 11 ?

2. Your term "feral" to describe children is unworthy of a professional teacher.

A very distasteful post.

14. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

15. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I see this has gone up from 10% in the space of a couple of days.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Obviously most of the posters on here never went to grammar school and do not understand the system at all. They have also never taught classes where the brightest children who want to work hard have had their education disrupted by low ability, badly behaved students. They have never seen kids bullied for trying hard and getting good results.
    My understanding is that if parents want their kids to go to a selective school they can enter them for the exam. If they don't want them to go they won't enter them for the exam. Obviously most of the posters on here will not want their children to go to a school with high academic standards and good behavior and they will not be forced to give their children a good advantage in life.
    Strangely, many of my colleagues have chosen grammar schools and (horrors!!!) independent schools for their children.
    Grammar schools are designed to give children the best chance in life Regardless of Their Background. They are selected on ability, not income. Yes, there will be competition in middle class areas and some people will try to bend the rules. One of the reasons that they were abandoned in the first place was because the middle class mummies were horrified to learn that some working class oiks had passed the entrance exam and were more clever than their own little darling who had failed.
    As for the low ability kids, in fact all kids, smaller class sizes and individual attention is the answer together with subjects suited to their ability.

tuffpup29 and pbdance like this.
  17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

A very well-put post, Saluki. I particularly liked,

"Obviously most of the posters on here will not want their children to go to a school with high academic standards and good behavior and they will not be forced to give their children a good advantage in life."

This is an important point in the way it will most likely work. You will be perfectly at liberty to send your very bright child or encourage your children to send your grandchildren to Scumsville High. They won't have to sit any exam or be in a classroom of children wanting to learn.

For many parents, like the millionaire Labour hard left MP Diane Abbott, for example, the thought of condemning their child to a dreadful education is something to be avoided at all costs.

18. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Why not have Grammar School Teacher Standards in 'all' Schools?
    Train 'all' Teachers to Grammar School Teaching level!
    Good teaching = Good Discipline + Good Learning.

19. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I wonder why these articles and threads never carry titles like: Teresa May wants to re-introduce Secondary Moderns.

emerald52 likes this.
  20. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

The countries in continental Europe which I know divide their students according to ability and talents. But they do it at 15 years old, not 11.

Big difference, IMO.

monicabilongame likes this.