1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Agree in part that Tory mps have been cowardly - but so have Labour mps. May was wanted to carry Brexit through - they didn't. She knew their m limitations and told them so when she called them subversive.

Cameron, Boris and Gove and many Tories all ran scared from the Outcome. Now suddenly some seem not so scared? Yes they sat back in fear while May did all the hard work. Labour in the meantime would never agree in reality to any Tory deal. Too many mps allowed their own egos, selfish desires and inability to get in the way. May has made it clear all along - and lazy mps didn't like being told the message from the people: Leave the eu.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

3. Happygopolitely

It should read:

'Come back May. We miss you, and even now the subversive mps are still fighting for anything but democracy.

Thankyou Theresa May for carrying the democratic winning vote and for trying. When Cameron ran you stepped in. When Boris and Gove wouldn't and couldn't lead you stepped in. When mps were being subversive you told them so.

Thankyou Theresa May for trying when it was clear that many mps would never accept the will of the people or any deal no matter how good. You will be remembered for your legacy of carrying democracy despite the odds against you.'

4. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I am sorry to say this, but she was and is a terrible Prime Minister. Two things stand out: "And it is why I set up the independent inquiry into the tragedy at Grenfell Tower, to search for the truth so nothing like it can ever happen again, and so the people who lost their lives that night are never forgotten." Trying to whitewash her pathetic response to the disaster in question.

I don't think people spotted this, because of her tears.

And

"For many years the great humanitarian, Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved the lives of hundreds of children by arranging their evacuation from Nazi-occupied Czecheslovakia through the Kindertransport, was my constituent in Maidenhead.

At another time of political controversy a few years before his death, he took me to one side at a local event and gave me a piece of advice.

"He said: 'Never forget that compromise is not a dirty word. Life depends on compromise.' "He was right.'

No he wasn't and it is wrong to try to quote a hero to cover up your own failings.

She messed up precisely because she tried to please both sides, when at the outset (the Lancaster speech) she really nailed her cross to the Brexiters even though in her heart of hearts she was for the other side.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Perhaps her legacy will be to replace her unpleasant and xenophobic party with an even nastier and more xenophobic one.

6. Happygopolitely

Don't be sorry for your opinion. I blame subversive mps - not May who stepped in when everyone else ran away. Lazy mps merely sat back in their ruts of self-centred thinking. Labour were never ever going to agree a Tory deal, no matter how good. And many cowardly Tories wanted her out the minute she was in. A courageous, strong willed and brilliant leader in a time of crisis.

She never tried to please both sides - she fought for democracy. May could see beyond political fighting. And the uk and the world is still seeing what our uk.mps are like. She called mps 'subversive' and she was right.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

most mps called her "Hopeless" or "Weak" or "Stubborn" - they were right too.

8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

She was a poor communicator, that has to be acknowledged, although she was resilient, I will say that.