1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Yet if she is being judged for her fashion and ridiculed by those who would dress her differently - then doesn't that say more about her critics and the nasty types out there? Whatever she looks like does not take away the fact that other mps ran away from being pm during a crisis. She didn't - and that is golden.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A good working title for her autobiography would be "A litany of failure"

Sums up her political career perfectly.

EmanuelShadrack and towncryer like this.
  3. Happygopolitely

Agree in part. But May did stand for democracy - whereas many mps who never wanted a deal no matter how good stood for subversive politics. Call it lazy, sheltered and carefree mps if you will. And when you have Boris and Gove now claiming they do want to lead afterall - despite running scared last time - you know mps can get away with lots of blunder, bluster and egotistical tom foolery. Our political system is fractured and mps need to be made more accountable. May knew that - and she was right to stand up to 'subversive' mps. So to May I say: 'Well done'.

4. Happygopolitely

A better title would be:
    ' Subversive mps Verses Me, a true PM'

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

https://adsinistramuk.wordpress.com...enf4Mi5WK3kZyfQAJYFHT9MDOJ7FHzXXBH3h2MynmesFw

“Theresa May. We are talking here of an empty politician without beliefs. Perhaps I should rephrase that. She does hold beliefs. But they change regularly according to political convenience … I wonder if Mrs May has the intellect to grasp how dangerous her conduct has become. There is a giant deficit of trust at the heart of British public life, and it is precisely because of politicians like her. The British people are sick and tired of those in power who say one thing and do another, and whose decisions are based around their personal advancement not principle. They are fed up with politicians who don’t mind if they lie and cheat because it’s all part of some Westminster game.”

– Peter Oborne

6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

*Scratches head* Showing us how to score an own goal? *Scratches head again*

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Great post

8. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I think there should be a separate section of the forum assigned for these characters, the online equivalent of a sandbox or an echo chamber.

Every man and his dog knows who they are. Whenever they get confronted with serious logic or argument supported by incontrovertible evidence and example they retreat into terse obfuscation. Or stop replying.

And as time goes on, they come across more and more as cranks with nothing to add to a debate except mere assertion. But they are part of our community and so perhaps a remote corner of the forum could be found for them where they can continue to howl into the ether.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I take it your suggestion of a remote corner is for those people who resort to the name calling?

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think Chris Grayling has copyrighted that one... ;)

11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Are you absolutely certain that Gordon Brown caused the financial crash? I suggest that you stop reading The Sun or Daily Mail and choose a more grown up medium with which to keep yourself informed of world events - perhaps the Dandy or Beano might be a more sensible choice.

12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Good one Frank :D

A moment's reflection however is all that's needed to realize that he would have messed that up too.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

What if.....what if her legacy is yet to come? What if she plans to revoke Article 50 on her last day in office?

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

September will be leaving it a bit late.

15. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

No, it would be for the climate change deniers, those who post on recent economic history without exhibiting the faintest grasp of how it has played out in recent times by referring to the relevant economists, contributors who retreat into emotivistic sloganeering, the fideists who can mount no rational defence of the moral status of a fetus because they fondly imagine that God intervened when sperm first met egg, the types that conflate ISIS with mainstream Islam and treat the faith and it’s adherents - for all its present shortcomings and convulsions - as a monolithic entity, those who prattle on about Middle Eastern politics wiithout once referring to the hard-bitten, on the ground correspondents and experts in area studies that provide an informed overview of the territory, and those who never, ever, refer to gold-standard peer-reviewed, high quality research to uphold the points they are seeking to defend about pretty much anything that vexes them; and so on. The list continues ad nauseam.

These characters do belong on an educational forum but not in a section of it devoted to following the truth wherever it leads. Instead, they should be relegated to a Zoo-like enclosure all their own where they might be held up as examples to older school students as prime examples of their elders who are still, not even in an advanced stage of life, capable of engaging In rudimentary logical and lateral thinking.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The naughty step for those who you disagree with then.

I might add that the idea that this forum is dedicated to following the truth is quite ludicrous (especially as you site so many instances of falsehoods above... Unless this is a single person you speak of) it was once personal but is nothing more than opinion.

17. Happygopolitely

Or more to the point. Do mps understand how subversive their conduct has become - and how right May was to call them on it?

18. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm not sure why you feel the need to resort to personal insults, sadly the default mode of some less intelligent posters.

Obviously Gordon Brown wasn't solely responsible but even he admitted some responsibility, as this extract from the Beano shows.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

Happygopolitely likes this.
  19. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Strong and stable

Geoff Thomas and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I think your assessment is very generous. If I could vote I would NEVER vote for a Tory who had served in her government. They all knew better than anyone how limited she was and they still supported her because of their own cowardice and ambition. To hell with them.

monicabilongame likes this.