1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I can't see the speaking engagements flooding in either.

towncryer likes this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I wonder where @install went?

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Has May ever met "an ordinary person" ?

towncryer likes this.
  4. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

With all those nasty subversive mps it can be difficult. She supports the ordinary voter. But then is Boris ordinary ? He ran from leadership last time and scarpered as did Gove ..

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

She is one of the few senior tories who attended a comprehensive school. I expect they'll return to choosing candidates from independent schools after this.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Re read what I said and carry on calling people who disagree with you idiots, because as long as they have the right to their vote they can have their opinions and your derogatory remarks do nothing to change that. Remember that when hoping to change people's opinions it helps not to completely trash them by calling them names, they will likely ignore you and your job is undone. Your views need support and so does JC to get elected, name calling won't help.

LondonCanary likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I believe post # 104 is a sort of puzzle where all the words are posted in the wrong order hoping it will make some sort of sense.

But it doesn't.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Only partly, if Wikipedia is to be believed:

May initially attended Heythrop Primary School, a state school in Heythrop, followed by St. Juliana's Convent School for Girls, a Roman Catholic independent school in Begbroke, which closed in 1984.[23][24][25]

When she was 13, May won a place at the former Holton Park Girls' Grammar School, a state school in Wheatley. During her time as a pupil, the Oxfordshire education system was reorganised and the school became the new Wheatley Park Comprehensive School.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I yield to no one in my disdain for Theresa May - but I'm not going to abuse her personally or dance on her political grave either. So just a couple of points:
    * TM was the incarnation of the Tory party's collective failure. An exhausted party with no vision, no programme and nothing to offer people but a softer version of Labour and no reason to exist except as a vehicle to promote the careers of it's deeply mediocre leadership. That they kept her in office long after her appalling limitations became evident to everyone says all you need to know about Tory cowardice, weakness and selfishness.
    * TM is what you get when you turn your back on conviction politics and treat every political question as another HR problem that just has to be finessed, finagled and fudged until you can fob people off with a 'solution' that's no solution at all. Sometimes you have to stand for something. But her whole career was built on standing for nothing.
    * Labour people should be sending flowers to Nigel Farage. This is the second Tory PM he's seen off, something they should have been able to manage on their own.
    * TM did not personally set fire to Grenfell Tower so I wish people should stop acting like she did.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Well I know that you're not open to being convinced and your solution, as in this case, is to simply repeat stuff that has already been invalidated.

Just because a question looks simple doesn't mean it is simple and just because a question has been limited to a yes and no response doesn't mean it is a yes and no question. Such as:

Do you still beat up your gerbil? Yes or no.

The question in the referendum falls into a similar category.

Leaving the EU is not a simple thing, if the evidence of the last three years hasn't shown you that, nothing will. You cannot legitimately separate the act of leaving the EU from what comes next.

Therefore, the question of whether to leave the EU cannot be a simple thing. The point is that the '16 was asking for approval of a very complicated course of action. For this to be valid that approval had to be in the form of informed consent. You cannot give informed consent if you do not know what the consequences will be of giving that consent.

No deal, for example, was barely mentioned when it was, the likes Rees-Mogg were saying that it would be illegal under A50. And yet now the self same people are trying to argue that no deal is what the electorate voted for. Utter clap trap.

If democracy in the UK is to have any future then the '16 referendum needs to be recognised for what is undoubtedly is, an invalid exercise based on asking people to vote for something which was not defined.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's the same sort of question as previous referenda. I ask people to do complicated things. Doing it is their problem not mine.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What do you think you are doing but repeating stuff that has already been invalidated. You have convinced yourself that the Electoral Commission have failed to do their job, but when I ask you waht they said when you complained, you have nothing to say. Why?

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Part of her legacy may be the eventual break up of the united kingdom.

By not knowing how to resist pressure from no-deal or hard-brexiters, she has allowed divisions to develop that might take generations to heal. She just wasn't strong enough.

towncryer likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't make things up that I haven't said. I never said I wanted to take the vote away from anyone. You still haven't acknowledged that.

I won't change those people's minds. I'll never meet them and there are a huge number. They're voting for Farage, a climate change denier. That makes them idiots in my book.

15. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Where have I said that the Commission hadn't done their job?

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

No it's not.

It is up to the Government to make completely sure that every voter can understand the question. Three years after the question was asked they can't even agree amongst themselves what question was asked.

17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

So what should be done about those so called idiots who happen to disagree with you? Do you think calling them idiots actually helps or makes a difference?

Where did I say you said we should take away the votes of people who you call idiots who happen to disagree with you? ... Reminder it was a question...

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is not my opinion that the climate is being dangerously changed by human activity, it is the view of the very large majority of the world's climate scientists. Education is the only solution, but some people actively resent being educated by people who know more about a subject than they do

I don't think it makes a difference as hardly any will ever read my comments, and those that do on here are hardly likely to change their minds.

By heavy implication:

As you know, I have never mentioned denying anyone a vote. I would also allow 16 year olds to vote and prisoners too.

On what basis would you deny someone a vote?

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I doubt Harrods fashion dept would ever have considered space suit outfits without the helmets would ever have been considered as fashion statements had Mrs May not modelled them.
    [​IMG]
    Goodness knows what bad luck it was for fashion designers that she looked like a sack of potatoes tied up at the middle when posing in them, so the design never caught on. I imagine that shoemakers who invested in the production of kitten shoes will be devastated now she's gone.

If someone told me that sales of ABBA songs have plummeted since she shimmied her way onto the Tory party conference stage, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The tears at the end of her announcement of her departure were probably caused by a myriad of thoughts that went through her brain as she spoke the final words of her departure announcement, in the same way we are told that people falling from cliffs have to endure the misery of flashbacks of their entire life before they meet their doom

Maybe Mrs May remembered hearing "I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate" as a child and had an imaginary sibling called Kate, who she spent her lifetime intent on trying to outdo? Who knows?

Equally, who knows why no sane person would regard a career in politics these days as being a better means of public service to the nation they love, than sweeping fast food detritis off the streets and keeping the sewers flowing?