1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

She does not want the state visit of Donald Trump and the D-Day celebrations of the preceding week to be undermined by the unseemly spectacle of Tory MPs and ministers scrabbling and scrambling to replace her.

mathsmutt and artboyusa like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Her legacy is allowing an undeserving self-absorbed party and an incompetent government to cling to power by its fingernails for just a bit longer, before (one hopes) they're finally booted into touch for a very long time.

Whatever replaces them will also be her legacy, for better or for worse.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Ahh, thanks for that. So instead of an 'acting' PM we have a dead PM walking.

Just imagine. She's cried in public. She's failed utterly. Has to face her colleagues and all their derision (or more likely fake sympathy knowing that it's really derision they feel) for the next two weeks AND has to put up with Trump.

towncryer and FrankWolley like this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

By its fingernails for 3 years, if it chooses to do so.
    (Poor old Corbyn. He calls for a GE every 2 weeks and just gets ignored)

towncryer likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

upload_2019-5-24_18-10-24.jpeg
    I was rather hoping that Trump would say that he can't be bothered coming now there's a Lame Duck at No.10 and so might save us a good deal of money.

6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Trump is bringing all his family so Trezza will have to cope with that too.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He's probably bringing about 2000 FBI agents as well.

nomad likes this.
  8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

So by the same logic. if I say it is going to rain tomorrow by Sunday that quote will be in the past and I will be an Historian too. Thats great I'll add it to my CV.

Of I wouldn't be a "leading" Historian and if it doesn't rain I would be rubbish Historian.:D

So if someone commenting on current affairs is now a Historian would that make journalists Historians? And anyway Prof Gary Sheffield was predicting what Theresa May's legacy might be not what it actually is because it hasn't happened yet. So does that mean that tipsters at horse races are Historians too because they are predicting what might happen?

It seems that to some extent we are all one big happy family of Historians because all our quotes and even predictions will one day be in the past. I always said this site was educational.

:D:D:D:D:D

T34 and baitranger like this.
  9. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Indeed.
    And the speaking engagements. She could be very busy.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't see her memoirs being a thriller.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

A food bank or homeless shelter would be appropriate

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Don't you think the poor b.astards have enough misery to contend with?

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Why? Don't understand what you mean.

14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Her legacy? Having that poisoned chalice nudged from her grasp and swiped by an equally inept candidate who will also be blocked in Parliament with anything they offer up, thereby leaving us with a no deal or GE with an equally shoddy choice of candidates across the board (let's face it who'd want to be a politician? Surely only someone who has nothing else to do or who can't do anything else... A bit like another career we know a bit about). That said I have a great deal of respect for her perseverance nay tolerance of those unwilling to play ball as well as those who passed said poisoned chalice.

towncryer and T34 like this.
  15. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

She could sell second hand leather trousers on ebay.

towncryer likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

£1000 leather trousers
    [​IMG]

and what on Earth are on her feet?

17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Unfortunately, it is the law (the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, 2011), and unless a large number of MPs suddenly decide to commit hara-kiri, there is no chance of securing the House of Commons supermajority, or vote of no confidence necessary.

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Alan Gibbons writes

BREAKING NEWS
    Mrs May's speech in full.
    "It has been my honour to serve the richest 1,000 people in the country, to ensure that, while others starved, these gilded folk increased their wealth 183% in ten years. There is no greater honour for a Conservative Prime Minister than this, to lay down their humanity for their class and screw the poor into the dirt.
    It has been my honour to increase homelessness and the number of people using food banks, whether in or out of work.
    It has been my honour to screw up Brexit, to spread frustration and insecurity so that families in Swindon and Scunthorpe face the devastation of their communities.
    It has been my honour to enforce the bedroom tax and Universal Credit, to sanction those on benefit, to remove mobility vehicles from the disabled.
    It has been my honour to send out racist vans, to obsess about immigration and create a hostile environment for the Windrush generation who contributed so much to this country only to suffer my contempt.
    It has been my honour to plunge Carillion into crisis, leaving the Royal Liverpool Hospital mothballed.
    It has been my honour to cut local authority budgets by over half and to reserve the worst cuts for Barnsley, one of the beating hearts of the mining strike and ever troublesome Liverpool which has lost 64% of its money.
    It has been my honour to watch Libya plunged into chaos by my predecessor David Cameron, from whom I learned how to screw up royally.
    It has been my honour to extend waiting times in our hospitals and pave the way for the destruction of the NHS.
    It has been my honour to gurn and twist my face, to sob my heart out, but only because I feel sorry for myself and never the victims of my tenure.
    In short, it has been my honour to serve the country I love, by which I mean the sum of its wealth which I have ensured flowed disproportionately into the pockets of the rich, like my husband and me."

19. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

That was partly May and partly the people unable to accept a decision reached democratically by the British public. If Brexit had happened as it should have done, Farage would not be in the position he is now.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If you don't trust the electorate to vote what value is there in democracy? Should only people who vote the way you would be allowed to vote? Or should we be ruled by a totalitarian regime that tells us how to think, vote and behave... Or indeed removes the right to vote from those they deem incapable or unwilling to agree with them? We should really be careful what we wish for since without valuing people's right to choose how they vote democracy means nothing... This whole B fiasco makes that very clear and I wasn't even a B voter.

LondonCanary and border_walker like this.