1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well, Doh! Of course!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I sincerely hope that she is considering resigning from politics altogether. Not that I wish her any ill-will but simply that she will need to look after her own mental health. The stress she has been under has been considerably more than many of us here have ever experienced, or ever will.

I do believe (like Tom Watson) that her intentions have always been honourable. I also believe that Cameron behaved in a most reprehensible manner, leaving someone else to clear up his mess and that May should not have thought she was capable of doing so. She clearly wasn't. Her cabinet, most of them at least, deserve a good kicking for their recent conduct.

Lastly, I think that actioning Brexit was the responsibility of Parliament, not just the Conservative Party and that there should have been unity in that, not division - something the EU too advantage of.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There's probably time for her to sign up for the next series of Strictly.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

She's led us to a place where a climate change denying racist with only one policy will top the polls.

In this day and age, that takes some doing. And some idiots.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Really agree with this summary.
    Will the legacy be the understanding that a PM can go ahead regardless of the Parliament and government but cannot go on like this for long. Will she usher in a time when consensus will be seen as the best way to get results.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, if it is Boris I think he will probably go for Canada+++, which the EU are happy with and which might well get through parliament, although the DUP would probably have to hold its nose.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Regardless of how I feel about her politics I feel incredibly sorry for her. She had an impossible task. The strain she has been under is more than anyone could bear. I hope she has some good support networks around her to help her through the next few months.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  8. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

One train of thought is that she might go into charity work. i can see her doing that. But suspect she will need a long period of rest before doing anything.

nomad likes this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree.
    Whoever takes on that job is avery brave person.

nomad likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Charity work? Given her lack of empathy for the vulnerable in society I find it hard to take that idea seriously.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Once again Corbyn shows his true colours and complete lack of statesmanship.

Couldn't even bring himself to wish her well in the future. Despite obvious political differences, to show a little grace wouldn't go amiss.

Not in his lexicon though. It is clearly full up with bitter, abusive left-wing rants.

baitranger, les25paul and BelleDuJour like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They do that when with each other anyway.

florian gassmann and nomad like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There are memoirs to write.

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't, for a variety of reasons. The quote below is one.

Here's what the Fire Brigades Union had to say about her resignation:

“Many of the underlying issues at Grenfell were due to unsafe conditions that had been allowed to fester under Tory governments and a council for which Theresa May bears ultimate responsibility. The inquiry she launched has kicked scrutiny of corporate and government interests into the long-grass, denying families and survivors justice, while allowing business as usual to continue for the wealthy. For the outgoing Prime Minister to suggest that her awful response to Grenfell is a proud part of her legacy is, frankly, disgraceful.”

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Having spat in it.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  16. sparkleghirl

I spat coffee.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

She wanted the job, so I don't feel particularly sorry for her. It was always going to be a difficult task, but at every stage she made poor decisions. It must have been obvious to even the meanest intellect that such a narrow victory for leave would result in division that would only be overcome by compromise.

Remember that initially she put barriers in the way of allowing parliament to have an input. Only in the final stages did she start negotiations with the opposition, but by then her credibility had been lost.

Let's hope her successor decides as she did, to hold a general election to get support from the public, so we'll finally see the back of the Tories for good.

18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Actually, Corbyn acknowledged the sympathy he felt for her "on a human level" this morning, before stating that he didn't recognise the Britain she claimed to have created. If you want graceless, tactless, insensitive statements, look no further than Iain Duncan Smith and Norman Tebbit in today's Telegraph.

FrankWolley and nomad like this.
  19. sparkleghirl

Why is she hanging on another two weeks? Why didn't she just go now? Is there a good reason or is it just another one of her unfathomables?

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If she went today, we'd need a temporary, 'acting' PM...possibly David Lidington, representing the country to Trump, and at the D Day ceremonies...o_O

nomad likes this.