1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

May announces her resignation - what is her legacy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 24, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I can't think of one... Any suggestions?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Inadvertently enabling Boris Johnson to be the next prime minister? I feel sick.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Strong and stable government surely... oh no, it's weak and chaotic.

5. FrankWolley

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Whatever your view on May she inherited a poison chalice.
    I expect she's mightily relieved to be moving out od number 10.

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

upload_2019-5-24_10-26-22.jpeg

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

She did indeed inherit a poisoned chalice. She's handing it on undiluted.

9. FrankWolley

You can, of course, reject an inheritance; becoming PM was something May campaigned for, a target she worked to achieve...which makes her failures even worse, IMHO... ;)

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@coffeekid - Let us hold onto the thought that her legacy may not be Boris.
    Let us NOT hold onto the thought that her legacy may be Gove...

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

She took on an impossible job left by behind by Cameroon who created the mess before running away. Parilment acted like a bunch of reckless children who wanted it all their own way and she was stabbed in the back by her party. But she didn't give in at the first(or even third) hurdle even though she had no chance of success.. I liked her (and I don't normally like Torys) and hope she enjoys her retirement, she deserves it.

Her legacy is to the Labour party. It is that Corbyn is not the savoiur they thought he was going to be.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd rather have Gove than Boris

Boris is not fit to be PM

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A degree in classics and an career spent in journalism have no relevance to running a country. He knows absolutely nothing about economics, business or finance (although he did a good job as Mayor of London) and his performance as Foreign Secretary was an embarrassment. He will be a disaster as leader, should the others put him in that position.

towncryer and lynneseptember like this.
  14. FrankWolley

If that was the only choice, I think I'd agree...:eek:, but might well emigrate....;)

Sally006 and towncryer like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Does May have a legacy ? - other than failure to achieve much.

monicabilongame and FrankWolley like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A good job as Mayor of London? Have you forgotten the garden bridge and water cannon fiascos?

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He did OK for a while

He will be an utter disaster as PM - embarrassment for the country. Numerous tory MPs will not want it either.

18. FrankWolley

Boris as PM...?

We get 'Boris Island'!:eek::eek::eek:

Sally006 likes this.
  19. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Poisoned chalice is definitely the correct metaphor, but that aside, May was completely the wrong person to be PM. All the commentaries about the way she conducted herself in her prior political career points to that fact. The PM to deliver Brexit was one that could court consensus and May was the complete opposite. Her legacy will be one of failure but failure that would have been difficult to avoid regardless of who was PM.

She will be judged by her actions but she should be judged less so for not delivering Brexit because there is still a huge question mark as whether Brexit is something that could ever be delivered. Yes we could just leave, but all the indicators are that this would be disastrous. Leaving in a more orderly fashion would still be painful and take a very long time.

What would be required would be a leader who has the courage of Churchill when he gave his "blood, sweat and tears" speech. But Churchill had two advantages over any Brexit PM. WW2 was not voted for, it was forced on us by events and there was to be the hope of a definite end point with the advantage of having avoided a "new dark age".

With Brexit, there will probably be no end point, certainly not for the foreseeable future and there is no hope of an advantage, certainly not for the people who voted for it.

As for who will be PM? It doesn't matter, they will be in exactly the same place as May. For Parliament, it will be a moment of truth, as they really serious about avoiding a no-deal Brexit? If so then they will have to sacrifice any Brexit by revoking A50, just like May, they are out of options.
    For MPs, a bit of JFK is probably appropriate.
    “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”

20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A lot of Tory MPs think similarly, but if Boris gets into the last two he will be elected by the Tory party at large, who love him for some unaccountable reason.

JohnJCazorla, racroesus and towncryer like this.