1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maximum drive time for KS1 day trip? 1 1/2 hours??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Anon_E_Mouse, May 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am having a minor crisis about my KS1 class trip (mixed Y1 &2) I was planning on going to one of the two local butterfly parks in June/ July and I just went to start booking it (maybe a little late [​IMG] - it's been a manic half term!) and they have BOTH closed down. Arrrgghh!
    We are growing butterflies from caterpillars next half term and it was such a nice end to the topic last time. I'm really gutted. The next nearest wildlife park which has butterflies is an hour and a half's drive away according to google maps, maybe a bit longer on a coach? I've only been for a 50 minute drive to a trip before.
    What do people think about having 29 5,6 and 7 year olds on a coach for a total of 3 hours in one day? I think it might be expensive and would make the day quite short unless we set off early or came back later
    Has anyone tried it? How did it go?
    Am I worrying over nothing??
    It's been a long half term...

2. It would be an instand no from our HT. Trips have to be within a reasonable distance.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our year 1s went to London from Oxford the other day, so a good hour and a half each way I'd say. They had a fabulous time, no problems at all.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've just had a whole school trip, so from Reception to yr 6, which involved a journey of almost 2 hours, we were away from 8.30 to 5.30. The children were absolutely fine, the staff were exhausted!

5. Personally I wouldn't do it. Took my class (Y1/2) on an hour's trip and that was about the max that they could stand - certainly wouldn't relish even doing that again.
    Would the parents want their children going on such a long trip and being so far from home at that age? Probably not and I wouldn't have let mine go when they were that young. Is there a local farm that you could go to instead?

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I wouldn't do it either, you would need a toilet stop and you're a long way away if there's an illness or accident.

7. Thanks for all the replies, I'll talk to the head tomorrow but my feeling is it's too far to really be worth it [​IMG]
    There are plenty of farms nearby- but not nearly so exciting as lots of our kids live on them and they've all been to visit one last year!
    I'm going to try some local gardens and see if we can do a minibeast thing instead.
    Sigh- it would have been nice!

8. Whether or not it's worth making a long journey depends on when you will leave and expect to return as well. In my school, if it's a long journey then the children are asked to come in early to leave at 8.15 so that at least they have a decent amount of time at the venue. There's nothing worse than a long journey followed by a short trip, lunch and then home!

9. Are there any nature reserves near you? The RSPB reserve near us does great minibeast activities.