1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maxi dresses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by goonergirl2009, May 8, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Hi- I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice on this one... I am 5'8, a size 18 (still with a post baby tummy) and I am trying to find a nice maxi dress for when I go on holiday. I have looked in my usual shops but can't see anything that I think looks nice. I am assuming a v-neck will be the most flattering. Has anyone come across any nice ones on their travels? Or should I avoid them altogether? Thank you in advance!
    x

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Despite my opinion of BHS, I found LOADS of dresses to try on there.
    I must have tried on about 12, and could easily have bought 5 or so of them!
    In the end, I chose 2...

3. goonergirl2009

I never thought to look there! Thank you!
    x

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No, we didn't.
    Old fashioned, dowdy, pointless, we thought.
    WRONG!

5. I'm sorry, are you me????
    I bought this in RIver Island last week
    http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/holiday-shop/maxi-dresses/pink-tropical-print-kaftan-maxi-dress-603385
    Never normally go in there, would never normally wear soemthing like this but it is lovely on. 45 pounds i htink.

It has a very deep v-neck, but I stuck it down with some boob tape and you could only see the bow at the top of the middle of my bra.

The girl at the till asked if I was going on holiday, it'd be lvoely on the beach, but no,. I wore it out that night.
    Going to check out BHS now!

6. BHS are 20% off online this weekend

7. I agree with BHS, I can't usually find anything I like, but they did have some nice maxi dresses. Also try doing a search for maxi dresses on ebay and some good ones on there too. x

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Phase Eight has some gorgeous ones too!

9. andromache

andromache New commenter

debenhams have some lovely ones, i bought one from them online last summer and i'm very happy with it. currently i covet this one http://www.joebrowns.co.uk/sp+Womens-Dresses-Tunics-Our-Favourite-Maxi-Dress+LD223

10. andromache

andromache New commenter

sorry about the link :(

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Monsoon

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maxi dresses are great for hiding sandfly bites [​IMG]

13. I wore them the first time round so suspect that makes them a bad idea for a woman my age.

14. What's your budget? I've got a Boden maxi dress and it's gorgeous. £79 and it's the tropical maxi dress in blueberry. All the reviews are very positive for all sizes.

15. Snap

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I got a great one from apricot for £12. Nice for the beach in the daytime but easily dressed up for the evening.

17. I got one from Peacocks last year and they've got some lovely ones in again this year.

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I'm off to Turkey this summer, so it's gonna be roasting hot. I'd love to wear maxi dresses to cover all my chubby bits, but I'm worried that I'm going to look ridiculously overdressed compared to the bikini clad brigade.
    Are maxi dresses a no-no for abroad during the day?
    Some overweight people are lucky as they have slimmish legs. I unfortunately have tree trunk legs, so prefer to keep them covered as well. This is why I'm a maxi dress fan. Now if only they made them with covered arms ....

19. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm really sorry to be the voice of dissent, but I don't think I've seen anyone wearing a maxi dress who doesn't look like they are wearing a pair of curtains. Unless you are a size 8 stoned hippy living in the 60s I'd say 'don't'!

20. goonergirl2009

Thank you all very much for your advice! Once I have exhausted M and S, Dorothy Perkins and Wallis, I tend to run out of ideas! Mandala- this was my worry!
    x