1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Max has gone to Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chantillycream, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Just to say .....Max (18) (who happens to have Down's Syndrome) has just flown to Edinburgh to spend a couple of days with his cousin. Thank you Easyjet for helping the trip run so smoothly and reassuring me - his perpetually anxious Mum.

He just has to make it home safely tomorrow.

2. Good work Max! Hang in there mum...................

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Take it easy and enjoy the time for yourself!
    You'll enjoy hearing all about his adventures when he gets back.
    Good old EasyJet - I really quite like them!

4. Is he going to see the Pandas?

5. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

You must be very proud x

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Good for Max. There's nothing as great as the achievemens of your kids. You'll be able to enjoy it once he's back!!

7. I think he's more interested in the prospect of his cousin taking him to the pub!

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hope Mark has fun here in Edinburgh - it's actually not raining today!

9. Max is back-safe and sound and planning his next trip. Thanks to everyone who supported him in this adventure. There will be no stopping him now!

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Did you get any sleep when he was away? I have an autistic son who has just recently started taking the bus to college. Up til then I drove him everywhere. I knew he would do it himself when he was ready and he started by coming home from college with friends and then walking home from the bus stop on his own. I am thrilled that he has achieved this level of independence but I still panic when he's not with me. There again, I worry about my 24 year old going to gigs and festivals and my 15 year old going to school by train.
    Congratulations to Max on his huge achievement and to you for being brave enough to let him do it.

11. And I thought it was just me who gets SO anxious when my kids aren't with me - to the point I feel stretched like a piece of elastic about to snap. Not just about Max but also his older brother who has no disability. Does it ever get easier????

12. dozymare1957

I don't think it ever gets easier TBH. I'm in my mid 50's and my mum worried about me until the day she died. Just be glad that you didn't have four like I did!

13. Just to add to the chorus really....I have 22 year old with learning disabilities and a 21 year old and I worry about both of them constantly. So hard to let go even when you know that rationally you have no option and it's the right and proper thing to do.

I can empathise so much with you though and when my children are not with me I have to continually right the urge to call them up and say "come back home right now!" like some crazy women.

14. dozymare1957

Sometimes these forums make me realise that I'm quite normal!