1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mature NQTs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by therammas, Jul 4, 2015.

1. At a recent meeting I was speaking to a mature NQT who is struggling to get short listed for appointments. They said on one occasion that the head teacher showing them around the school openly admitted they were looking for a young NQT. It appears that being mature and having life experience and skills is no substitute for youth. I myself have struggled to get short listed and being male thought we would have been in demand!!! People say that it is important to visit the school but when you are already in a post it is difficult. I email schools informing them of the difficulty in getting away and ask if I could view the school if short listed without in a lot occasions even getting a reply. Does the fact that a NQT is mature male have an adverse effect on whether you get shortlisted? Frustrating is one word I use.

2. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

It shouldn't but having read through various threads on TES I've lost a great deal of faith in schools. But - I might be wrong - have a look through Theo Griff''s blogs, which are really useful and give detailed up-to-date advice about job applications. They might help you.

I'm female btw - think it happens both ways. Indirect acts of discrimination can be terribly vague, underhand and perhaps impossible to prove : (

I understand your frustration.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sure that there are people in all walks of life who are prejudiced for/against one gender or one age group.

And there's an example - why do you think that being male should make you more in demand?

[​IMG]

Do be careful about letting your prejudices show - this is my nice answering mode.

[​IMG]

Instead of ascribing your lack of success to prejudice against an older male applicant, try reading all my advice below and thinking how you could improve your application to show the skills, experience and strengths that you could bring to a new school.

Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order.

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

<h4>Why you should always include an E.S. in an application***NEW ***</h4>
    How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. PegMatite

PegMatite New commenter

I was a mature NQT (not male) who struggled to get a permanent job and there were times I wondered if my age was a factor. It did take me longer to find an NQT post than most of my PGCE contemporaries but who knows if my age was a factor? Maybe it took me longer to become a good enough teacher (or good enough at interviews!). But I did get a permanent post and am now a mature almost RQT, there are many schools where age isn't an issue.

No idea about the visits issue, I'm secondary where pre-application visits aren't a thing.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

A key issue with mature NQTs is often they are unable to re-locate for jobs - they have family commitments keeping them in one area. If you teach an over subscribed subject, chances are that you will find yourself waiting for a job to "come up" - which means potentially a lot more competition.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

CWadd is correct. Family ties often limit the scope of many older applicants. A lady who trained with me for example had kids in a local school and wanted to be within twenty minutes of it to make life easier. Obviously limits the market. There have also been older NQTs in here who believe previous work experience should entitle them to a job. This shines through in interview. Many have got jobs though so I hardly think there is widespread discrimination at play...

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Like all headteachers, I just wanted to try and appoint the best teacher I could possibly find. I didn't care what gender or age they were.

Like most heads, I recruited via a mix of watching each candidate teach and then interviewing them. The teaching part was the most important, because that's what I was hiring - it was still important, however, to check each candidate's knowledge, their views and their attitudes (with safeguarding being a key component which could lose even the most gifted teacher the job if they failed to satisfy on this element of the interview).

All I can say to the OP is that contrary to popular belief, heads are neither so desperate to appoint male teachers that they'll appoint one who isn't the best teacher of the day, nor so daft that they'd fail to appoint a mature teacher who WAS the best on the day.