1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Matters of Life and death in the media

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by teachergirl8, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am teaching the edexcel new spec Religious Studies GCSE to my 10's and I am currently teaching the 'Matters of Life and death' topic. At the end of the topic we need to analyse matters of life and death in the media. I am going to show my group a couple of News clips on life and death and we are also going to study some newspaper articles. But, for comparison purposes I wanted to show them a good clip from a movie that deals with life and death. I have million dollar baby but from my reading of the specification it looks as though I need a clip from a movie that is a bit more controversial and perhaps even biased? Any ideas or am I going down the wrong track completely? (This is the first year I have taught it!)

2. Hi,
    I am teaching the edexcel new spec Religious Studies GCSE to my 10's and I am currently teaching the 'Matters of Life and death' topic. At the end of the topic we need to analyse matters of life and death in the media. I am going to show my group a couple of News clips on life and death and we are also going to study some newspaper articles. But, for comparison purposes I wanted to show them a good clip from a movie that deals with life and death. I have million dollar baby but from my reading of the specification it looks as though I need a clip from a movie that is a bit more controversial and perhaps even biased? Any ideas or am I going down the wrong track completely? (This is the first year I have taught it!)

3. Hi,

It's not a movie clip but this Sunday on "The Big Questions" there will be a debate on 'life after death'. Might be useful?

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Hi,
    I have taught this module and used a BBC documentary I found on youtube that followed a man who was going to Dignitas.
    It really worked well with the pupils as it was real life so it helped them relate to it.

5. "I accuse" is a famous pro-euthanasia film, made in Germany in 1941.

6. There are some films on the TrueTube website which might be of use to you.

7. A Short Stay in Switzerland... or last nights BBC 2 Documentary by Sir Terry Prachett

8. jacqablett

jacqablett New commenter

Leh him have it. Often used in discussion about the death penalty. Used to teach English and we used it so maybe pay them a visit? Also, whether he was actually guilty or not is a good discussion topic.

Depending upon the age. how about this is England? Too many issues to list but fits perfectly with Thatcher, 8o's, UKIP etc

9. Let our Dad Die - C4 I think - is also a pretty powerful doc, the Abortion Divide (panaroma) or the Terry Pratchett doc is great for the more able students. A Short Stay was long and complex and maybe easier to set as a Stretch & Challenge task. It took up 3 lessons to cover it properly so I wouldn't recommend it. You could also use any soaps that the students are into that deal with abortion, euthansia or even suicide... Get them to research an issue to bring in, share and critique with the class. As a group you could vote on the most interesting issue and take it forward. The media question is always a tricky one. Good luck!

10. racbre

racbre New commenter

Sorry, that should read 'Ghost' and the recent Japanese film 'Departures'

11. racbre

racbre New commenter

I've just realised that this post is over 2 years old, but if you're still interested (!) try clips from 'Hereafter', 'Ghost' the recent Japanese film 'Departures' (although that might be more suitable for A Level).

12. Hi, My name is Mark and I am a Motivational Speaker in USA. I'm impressed with your plan and I hope you will come up with good movie clip for your teaching. Why don't you take any clip from any motivational movie instead? There are plenty of them - in pursuit of happyness is my favorite.