1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mats for gym equipment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nathwills, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi just a quick question. We have some large gym equipment in our school hall which is rarely used for various reasons but I would like to use it with my year 3 class. I asked our PE co-ordinator where the best place was to put the mats. He replied don't use any as it encourages the children to want to fall off, if there are not any mats they will be more careful. I see his point but worry someone will accidentally fall 12ft and land on the head!!!! Does anyone know the guidelines for using such equipment. We have 2 large crash mats and a number of thinner mats. I understand that the thinner mats may be no use at all but surely something is better than nothing.

2. Hi just a quick question. We have some large gym equipment in our school hall which is rarely used for various reasons but I would like to use it with my year 3 class. I asked our PE co-ordinator where the best place was to put the mats. He replied don't use any as it encourages the children to want to fall off, if there are not any mats they will be more careful. I see his point but worry someone will accidentally fall 12ft and land on the head!!!! Does anyone know the guidelines for using such equipment. We have 2 large crash mats and a number of thinner mats. I understand that the thinner mats may be no use at all but surely something is better than nothing.

3. I remember being told the same thing about 'crash' mats - don't use them as the children will be encouraged to be reckless and will hurt themselves. We got rid of ours at our school and now use the thin mats under pretty low equipment. When I use the large wooden frame/monkey bar thing, I put the thin mats beneath them but pretty much stand there, watching them like a hawk, worried sick until the end of the lesson!

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We don't use the large crash mats either for the same reasons, but we do use the thin ones. We do explain to the children that the mats won't save them from a serious injury and they must take care and be safe on the equipment. We also make sure that anyone who does fool around in any way receives a short sharp shock! E.g. ban for two lessons from equipment (they still do P.E. but more likely to be walking around the hall balancing a ball on a racquet!)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We only have thin mats. I often think putting them out is just an exercise in pretending to be safe. I get the kids to put them where seems sensible to me.

We don't have things like monkey bars and ropes though...just stool things (tallest is about 1m or so) and benches.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Tricky, this one. We have the same debate. Are you really talking 12ft? IMO children don't tend to go beyond their limitations but accidents do happen. I think I would go along the lines of a previous poster and explain that the thin mats won't prevent an injury but put them out anyway for comfort of landing.

7. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

I would have mats on the ground for sure, even if they are the thin ones. Without any mats at all I think your exposing yourself to danger, if one of the kids falls and hits their head then the question will be asked "where were the mats?"

8. Mats are also useful to indicate safe landing zones eg if there is no mat in a location it is not safe for the children to drop or jump into that spot eg close to walls or protruding equipment. I do a lot of work on safe landings as children don't always remember to land with bent knees and the slap as they hit the ground with flat feet and locked knees makes me shudder!

9. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I was advised many years ago by our P.E. advisor to only have mats where you want the children to land. Anywhere else encourages them to leave the equipment where not appropriate. Avoid unsuitable heights or angles on the equipment to avoid accident. In this day and age of irresponsible compensation claims, it's just not worth the risk! Teaching the children how to land safely before tackling the equipment is good advice.