1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mats assessment

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by moscowbore, Jan 30, 2011.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Hi All,
    I am an assessment co-ordinator and I will be meeting the head of maths soon to discuss how key stage 3 students are assessed. I will be looking for some way of justifying a level awarded to a student. My understanding is that maths sets levels as a result of tests. The result of a test relates directly to a level. This puzzles me. One of the criteria for a level 6 in "Mathematical processes and applications" is "Pupils carry out substantial tasks". How does a test meet this criteria?

Any explanation would be welcomed.

2. moscowbore

Hi All,
    I am an assessment co-ordinator and I will be meeting the head of maths soon to discuss how key stage 3 students are assessed. I will be looking for some way of justifying a level awarded to a student. My understanding is that maths sets levels as a result of tests. The result of a test relates directly to a level. This puzzles me. One of the criteria for a level 6 in "Mathematical processes and applications" is "Pupils carry out substantial tasks". How does a test meet this criteria?

Any explanation would be welcomed.

3. DM

DM New commenter

I'm gobsmacked. It looks like you do not have the slightest idea about KS3 mathematics levelling but still intend to meet with someone who does to point out where he or she is going wrong.

4. moscowbore

Dear DM,
    You are entirely correct. I do not have the slightest idea. I have tried asking maths teachers but all I get is that the tests do everything. I can see the level descriptors and I am told that the tests relate directly to these. I just dont understand how a test can meet the requirement for "substantial task" for example. For the record, my job is not to point out where someone is going wrong, my job is to ask that HOD, as they will very soon be asked by an auditor, to justify their levels. The only response I get is that levels are achieved through tests and I should be happy with that. I am not and neither would an auditor.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Tell me more about this "auditor" please qatar.

6. Surely it is impossible to meet every criteria for a level in a single assessment, regardless of if it is a test or a coursework style piece of work? Most of the criteria on 'mathematical processes and applications' I would expect to be assessed as teacher judgement as they can't be assessed on a test (as tests aren't substantial tasks) or as a piece of 'coursework' (as students would be able to get help so it wouldn't be testing them)

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Isn't it the case that a TA level can only be given on the evidence of maths work seen over a year or two or three? You can't get a level for one piece of work, surely. And tests aren't that relevant, are they? (When we had NCTs in KS3, the end of key stage level was the test 50% alongside the TA 50%, which was for "normal" maths work.)

8. Not the only solution and not to be done solely in isolation but used with teacher assessments - alfiesoft provide an online maths ks3 system that uses past QCDA questions and generates a reliable level based on the QCDA data. You will need access to a computer suite for an hour to do the test but apart from that very little set up and no marking. www.alfiesoft.com for info and the sort of report you will get is here: http://www.alfiesoft.com/download/MathematicsLevel5to6.pdf used by many schools for moderation purposes.