1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MathsMaster.Org- an experiment. I'd LOVE your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by williamemeny, Feb 17, 2011.

1. williamemeny

williamemeny New commenter

Hi

I've been experimenting with various ways of engaging pupils in their learning of maths. Kids are very ICT literate and I am currently using MyMaths quite a lot as I find the pupils really engage with it.

Everytime I have produced videos explaining topics I've found that pupils seem very drawn to them and comfortable watching them. I believe a modern pupil feels much more at home in front of YouTube than in front of a textbook. There is a large can of worms there and I'm not at all saying it's a good thing, I really don't think it is, but it is reality.

To make the most of pupils engaging with videos I've started putting together a website www.mathsmaster.org to give short tutorials on maths topics. I'm trying to engage the pupils with funky, web design and definitely no 'edu-jargon'.

The site is still in it's early days but pupils that I've shared it with so far seem to be engaging with it and finding it helps them with their learning.

I'd LOVE to know what your thoughts of www.mathsmaster.org are!

2. williamemeny

Hi

I've been experimenting with various ways of engaging pupils in their learning of maths. Kids are very ICT literate and I am currently using MyMaths quite a lot as I find the pupils really engage with it.

Everytime I have produced videos explaining topics I've found that pupils seem very drawn to them and comfortable watching them. I believe a modern pupil feels much more at home in front of YouTube than in front of a textbook. There is a large can of worms there and I'm not at all saying it's a good thing, I really don't think it is, but it is reality.

To make the most of pupils engaging with videos I've started putting together a website www.mathsmaster.org to give short tutorials on maths topics. I'm trying to engage the pupils with funky, web design and definitely no 'edu-jargon'.

The site is still in it's early days but pupils that I've shared it with so far seem to be engaging with it and finding it helps them with their learning.

I'd LOVE to know what your thoughts of www.mathsmaster.org are!

3. Good luck with developing your own materials. I always think that's the best way to go. (there are other people who have done videos explaining maths, khanacademy for one, and there was another one I've shown on revver).

The can of worms i reckon, is that if someone like Marcus de Sautuoy, recorded a whole bunch of these, why would they ever need me?

(but you could already say that with mymaths and mathswatch around)

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I'd happily be made redundant by a video.

5. Maths videos in general have to be one of the most tedious things ever dreamt up. I've see n some really keen pupils get some use out of MathsWatch but for most videos are a total waste of time. Regarding MyMaths/online learning in general, it can work really well for some pupils but most in my school absolutely loath it.

6. I like the idea but for me they are far too long.
    I do something similar but for mobile phone use.
    About a minute in length and students have them wherever they go.
    Some examples at www.suffolkmaths.co.uk

7. To entirely different aims
    (i) On the go materials as a quick revision/reminder (which may be used very effectively or abused)
    (ii) Lengthy tutorials showing more than one example kids can get stuck into on a sunday night when homework needs doing
    You only have to look at the success of the KhanAcademy for evidence of this
    For the OP I think keeping a copy of the video file and putting them on a memory stick/cd/VLE for kids who dont have access to the net at home or on their phone

8. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Hi William

A few thoughts...

Firstly, congratulations.

I watched a couple of videos and thought the explanations were clear and easy to understand (though not really getting in to the why methods work and what is happening mathematically. For instance, in multiplication you talk about drawing a line across from the decimal point. Ok, but why? Adding the mathematical reasoning will help to improve retention, because the "trick" becomes less abstract).

What screen capture software are you using? When you talk about a number or position, you are saying "4" or "there" or "below that" etc, but there is no visual indication. There are some nice screen capture software packages that allow you to highlight the parts or positions you are talking about and I think that this would be very helpful to students. So for example when you are saying "add this 4 to this 5", you could briefly highlight the number when you refer to it.

The site seems bulky and slow to load. I read through the css and html code source for a few pages and this seems fine. Are you images compressed? Search engines will penalise the site for slow loading.

It might be a good idea to allow navigation to each of the main pages, so that you don't have to return to the home page when you want to move from an algebra video to a shape one, say.

Hope some of that is useful. Main thing is to say well done on taking the time to create a free to use resource.

9. williamemeny

Hi Tandy!

Thanks for your excellent feedback. I'll take it on board as I move forward with the site. I agree that highlighting things that I'm talking about would improve the videos. I'm surprised the site is loading slowly for you. My images are only a few kb each. I'll have to do some more investigations to get to the bottom of it.

I'm really excited about developing the site. I've had a lot of positive feedback and my pupils are already using it regularly.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

10. I regularly use videos of me talking and then writing on some paper..so ver low tech..but I show these videos just before exams ..I also quite often get the tech guy to film my lessons and he then downloads them on my laptop and I use them for the kids to check their results..

Wwould send you some but they are too big for e mail..I have some on memory stick if you want..

11. williamemeny

Hi Tandy!

Just to let you know, I've updated the site with many of the changes that you suggested. Check out the fractions series which is coming on very nicely now: http://www.mathsmaster.org/MathsMaster.Org/Fractions.html

I've put in a navigation menu at the bottom of each page. I've been highlighting the key things discussed and it certainly comes across a lot better.

Would be fascinated to know what you think of the site now I've made these changes...!

12. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Hi William

It's looking great. Thanks for creating free resources for students - the fact that you are hosting on YouTube will mean that any student looking for some help will be able to find them easily.

The use of highlighting and labelling, and the more careful explanations are a great improvement.

You might like to have a look at a few of my efforts too: http://www.emaths.co.uk/tutorials.htm

When you are happy with your site, I will be happy to add links from Emaths if you would like.

M