1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths - Year 5 - what to teach 1st week!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pmastrelli, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am going into my 2nd year of teaching this September. I will be having a Year 5 class. I will be taking the Year 6 numeracy planning and adapting it for the Year 5's the week after they teach it throughout the term (due to resources etc).
    So got to think of some numeracy to do in that first week in September. Obviously, number orientated and use of times tables will be important (use of 4 operations). Was wondering if anyone actually has done something similiar before? Any planning or further ideas/contributions would be much appreciated! The class is of mixed ability.

Many thanks!

2. Hi all,
    I am going into my 2nd year of teaching this September. I will be having a Year 5 class. I will be taking the Year 6 numeracy planning and adapting it for the Year 5's the week after they teach it throughout the term (due to resources etc).
    So got to think of some numeracy to do in that first week in September. Obviously, number orientated and use of times tables will be important (use of 4 operations). Was wondering if anyone actually has done something similiar before? Any planning or further ideas/contributions would be much appreciated! The class is of mixed ability.

Many thanks!

3. Hello,
    I tend to start with place value. The children enjoy learning how to read and write large numbers and it's interesting to link it to real data such as populations. For the less able, you can work on HTU. "Zap the digit" is a good game to play. One player instructs a partner to type a number into a calculator. Then they are challenged to zap one digit at a time (i.e. make that digit become zero) by subtracting the relevant number. Follow that with some written examples of the same exercise.
    Place value is also a good topic to use to introduce your expecations about presentation.
    Hope that helps.

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

With upper KS2 I always start with a 8 question test/assessment - an A4 bit of paper divided into 8 boxes (4 rows of 2) each row has 2 of either add, subtract, times. divide, taken from examples from the old NNS for the 2 years prior.
    So for a Yr 5 pupil I would take an example of addition that they should have been able to do in Yr 3 & 4
    I'd then work in the remaining lessons to improve their written calculation skills, introducing them to more traditional methods in addition, subtraction and division as these are quicker!

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I always start with a day on each of the four operations, running through each of the written methods used to date-so perhaps number lines, partitioning,column addition etc-so they can check which one they are most accurate and comfortable with and sort out any misconceptions. Friday is problem solving activities based on the operations.