1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths year 5- rounding decimals

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WolfPaul, Apr 27, 2011.

1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

If they really don't know what rounding is then why are you going to teach them about rounding decimals?

2. I'm sure they do know what rounding is, and if they don't something has gone majorly wrong in the last 3/4 years of their education.
    Start it by asking what is 7 to the nearest 10, what is 13 to the nearest 10, etc, then recap the rule about 5 and over, 4 and under. Then apply that to a decimal, so if we are rounding to the nearest whole number, we look at the tenths column. Starting on common ground (whole numbers), then applying something they know to something knew will be less daunting than you think it will be.
    Sounds like today went well :)
    Good luck for tomorrow x

3. Sorry, I meant rounding in relation to decimals. They aren't sure how to round with decimals. I've been asked to teach it tomorrow so that's why I'm teaching it. I'm sure they're fine at rounding with whole numbers. They just weren't sure how to apply it to decimals, but they'll know after tomorrow hopefully.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I've just realised the game is finding the next whole number and not the nearest, so will in fact be confusing if you discussing rounding down as it always goes up! Sorry - thought I'd found a good game for you. [​IMG]