1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths workshops for parents

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I just tried to edit the above post and couldn't! (Sorry - misread post)
    Can you get the parents doing problems?
    Can you show them useful resources to help them understand how to help their children?

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Mums-Dads-Rob-Eastaway/dp/0224086359

Have you seen this book? It is great for providing simple explanations for parents to help them understand what their children are being taught in school and what they can do to support this at home.
    I have used some ideas from the book to plan workshop sessions for parents.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. I have run one for KS1 and KS2 which conssited of a number of workshops showing parents how we taught certain topics. We set up activities and games using mini-whiteboards, loops, tarsia jigsaws, bingo and all of that sort of stuff as well as a workshop in the ICT suite showing parents how we used ICT and the internet. I'm planning another one and intend to have a selection og games, books and resources for parents to play with, read etc. and then buy (if they wish). Hope this helps!!!

5. Thank you Carrie - a great starting point :)

6. Thank you ever so much, VERY helpful :)

7. Thanks :)

8. Hi Carrie - I got the book you recommended - it is FAB! Thank you :)

9. There is a great game called SumSort, it is based on numbers and the four basic operations, so by playing, parents and children drill their basic skills, however, playing the game in engaging and develops many other skills - it's great for workshops as it can be played in groups of 4 and hopefully, they will want to get a game for themselves to play at home!
    You can find it at www.sumsort.com
    Another great resource is the Nrich website - great for ideas to use for the workshops AND for parents to access from home :0)
    www.nrich.maths.org

Enjoy! :0)
    Caroline