1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths without worksheets

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DENISE4444, May 13, 2017.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

A worksheet is just the means for asking and recording an answer. Children can still use creative, concrete manipulatives to support them in whatever they are trying to solve, and then record their solutions on the worksheet especially in arithmetic. There is no difference between a worksheet, writing a question on the whiteboard for children to copy, or a page from a textbook. I personally love the use of high quality textbooks for a host of reasons. They are written by experts, save teachers unnecessary time trawling through the internet for ideas, support teachers in teaching maths, save photocopying expenses, helps with consistency throughout the school, and I quote: In his 2014 report ‘Why textbooks count’ Tim Oates concluded that “High quality textbooks are not antithetical to high quality pedagogy – they are supportive of sensitive and effective approaches to high attainment, high equity and high enjoyment of learning. A failure to recognise this may be impeding improvement of education in England.”
    In January, I am going to try and find a school that has a sensible and pragmatic approach to teaching, and will trust me to do what's best for the teaching and learning in my class... I wonder if such a school exist.

alexanderosman likes this.