1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths without worksheets

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DENISE4444, May 13, 2017.

1. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Maybe I'm being stupid, but other than something about labeling shapes, I don't see anything above which explains the need for 'worksheets'?

I'm with @doonessy on this one!

2. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

I suppose it just makes me laugh that the school spent hundreds on Maths no problem scheme in the summer last year with us downloading the worksheets from the website probably an average of 3 per lesson if you don't cut, crop and paste and now because in year 1 we have moved away from it it's a complete turn around. I am ready to try anything, I try to do lots of practical/concrete learning with photo evidence etc and do write straight in books the majority of the time now. I think topics like shape, time with clock faces, money and some fraction work will be the only sticking point, I have planned a completely sheet free week so let's see how it goes . And yes 1 template activity :)

pepper5, Pomz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. INGIE

INGIE New commenter

Denise - I am interested to read your comment about Maths no Problem. I have just posted in the Maths forum and am trying to find what people think of the scheme. Can I assume by your comment that you no longer use it and if so why not? Thanks

4. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

What do children answer questions from? Or do you mean they still are allowed a sheet of questions, but they must be done in books?

5. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Yes, they have a sheet to answer from and an objective written in books. So for instance if we were doing finding half of an amount they would copy 1/2 of 6 is ____ and write the answer. I try to take pictures of them working things out on whiteboards etc. Well this is what I plan to do.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

We found that in the Autumn term they are not ready for the scheme and we were very far behind compared to the previous year by Christmas. The scheme often mixes concepts like 1 more and 1 less in the same activity and for our children that was hard at first. I don't think it helped that we didn't have any training before we started using it or since.

Also we were told to pre teach before a lesson, I may be being stupid but why should I need to pre teach something I'm going to teach surely the resources in the scheme should allow me to teach it in the session.

It was a lot of number concepts one after another and I think year 1 need to have time on other aspects in each half term or term, I don't think we did anything other that the number strand up until Christmas, and obviously that takes away being able to link some topics into activities within school year e.g shape linked to parcels and decorations at Christmas this is the EYFS person in me. I know others that like it but just not me, hope these comments help

pepper5 likes this.
  7. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

So, just to clarify, the children are doing the exact same activity, from a sheet, but spending considerably longer recording and less time doing maths, because the sheet can't be stuck in the book? What a marvellous system!

TEA2111, Stiltskin, pepper5 and 8 others like this.
  8. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  9. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Tell me about it. Trying to do fractions of amounts this week direct into books, boy do they look a mess. Spent more time teaching how to do a circle and split it into 4 to use as a base for dividing amounts than the actual work, so much so that I still have kids who have unfinished work and awful looking work pages in books! Doing length next week so I'm doing what someone suggested and creating images in small text boxes and sticking each one in separate because I obviously have spare time to do this sh*t ! sorry it just annoys me

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think it depends on the class. Mine drew tables yesterday for faces,edges,vertices work. Last year I have the class a preprinted one. You have to do what the class need, sometimes that's a sheet and sometimes it isn't.

PS draw a 2x2 square for dividing into quarters, easier than a circle.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

Seems a bit daft to have to base your lessons around someone else's views on how the learning should be organised or recorded.

pepper5, Lara mfl 05 and DENISE4444 like this.
  12. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

We did in the end :)

13. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Not necessarily above, but off the top of my head - coordinates, symmetry, properties of shapes, angles, statistics, fractions, time, area, perimeter...and this is just year 4.

PS I would never use a worksheet for any number work..but the topics I've listed would be an exercise in stupidity to try and do without a worksheet. And if you are still printing a sheet and then copying out into books, how absolutely hilarious. What a waste of time and still doesn't save on printing costs (the main drive behind this lunacy)!

14. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

I'm just going with the flow at the moment and taking deep breaths .

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Occasional commenter

We've being doing time this week, absolutey impossible without pre-printed sheets! I think the world has gone a bit mad.

Lara mfl 05 and DENISE4444 like this.
  16. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Another brainless fad that adds hugely and unnecessarily to teacher workload. Under a change of head, the last state school I worked in decided to ban worksheets and literally throw out all of its text books for all subjects. I followed shortly after the text books.

WelshMags, pepper5, elder_cat and 4 others like this.
  17. logicroots

logicroots New commenter

18. teacher-ch

teacher-ch New commenter

19. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I worked in a school where we produced some customised mini whiteboards, by laminating useful templates. So you could have a pile of clock faces, or some ready-drawn circles (and other shapes) for fractions, axes for coordinates, and so on. Of course, they cost rather more than the worksheets initially, but might pay off in the long run, and get round "no worksheet" rules.

Stiltskin and pepper5 like this.
  20. itdoesnthurttosmile

itdoesnthurttosmile New commenter

Just out of interest what is wrong with using worksheets? They can be customized for individual needs.