1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths without worksheets

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DENISE4444, May 13, 2017.

1. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Hi all. I have been told that I can no longer use any worksheets in my year 1 maths lessons. I'm not a massive fan of worksheets but I also don't want to be drawing fraction activities, stamping clocks, etc into 30 books! We were using Maths No problem but persuaded the head to let us move away from it a couple of months ago, bearing in mind that is complete worksheets. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to show evidence in books which is what we will still need other than photos. We have moved away from worksheets when doing addition/subtraction etc with children writing directly into books but some activities just need a printed sheet for them to work on. HELP thanks in advance

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Can you give them portions of worksheets that they stick in? I agree there are some instances where you need pre printed stuff.

DENISE4444 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Link

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

KKeep doing what you are doing, but don't call them worksheets. Call them something else and you'll be fine.

pepper5, elder_cat, Billie73 and 5 others like this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Occasional commenter

I completely sympathise, we have been told the same but I ignore it occasionally. If you need the children to label 3D shapes, for example, do they expect you to draw them freehand in 30 books! Sometimes you just need a pre-printed sheet.

6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

:D

7. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

I was actually told on Friday that as We had gone against her wishes (the head) that it was basically grounds for capability procedures. I can't believe it. I was also told I seem to have 'fallen out' with teaching, I get the feeling she want me gone !

pepper5 likes this.
  8. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Hi WolfPaul, I clicked the link but maybe I'm having a Sunday moment but not sure what I'm looking for thanks

9. doonessy

doonessy New commenter

We don't use worksheets either and it does work very well. There are minor exceptions to the no worksheet rule and the teaching objective of the lesson needs to be the priority. If the objective is labeling a shape then the child will take so long drawing the shape and labeling it, then yes - use the worksheet but that will just one page at the end of a teaching sequence. Before that consolidation lesson, there are lots of lessons that could be done practically with lots of different sorts of shape teaching evidence in books eg. photos, sorting diagrams, bar charts, shape hunt, comparison grids..... The no worksheet rule is just a different way of thinking but actually makes the lessons more creative and hands on.

Landofla and Pomz like this.
  10. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Teachers should not be told how to teach. If a worksheet is appropriate for a pupil to learn something, it should be used without hesitation.

Get out of there as soon as you can.

TEA2111, pepper5, elder_cat and 6 others like this.
  11. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Jobs pages!

12. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

I have been teaching YEARS so yes I taught before the days of worksheets, put it like this when I trained you were lucky to be allowed to use a photocopier hahahaha. I think I just need to re-think things a bit more and get out of bad habits thanks x

pepper5 likes this.
  13. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Thanks I am thinking about it, by the way I love your icon

pepper5 likes this.
  14. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Thanks I think it's time!

pepper5 likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

I started at a similar time...Don't think of worksheets as bad habits, but a way to survive now there is so much more to do in a day. When I started there was also no expectation to mark maths books yourself, kids marked their own and I didn't see them from one month to the next.
    However, the very idea of having a 'rule' for how teachers should teach, is abhorrent. Teachers should be allowed to teach how they wish,so long as children learn.
    Talk about low expectations...surely your year 1/2 children are drawing their own 3D shapes, with perfect accuracy, by now?!? :D

16. Over_the_hill

17. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Call your worksheets 'Templates' and you might get away with it!

lunarita, pepper5, Billie73 and 5 others like this.
  18. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

We don't use worksheets in any year group (apart from odd exceptions where there is no alternative (can't even think of any right now!)).

Why can't the kids just write the questions and answers in their books?

19. caterpillartobutterfly

See examples above.

DENISE4444 likes this.
  20. Over_the_hill

In all seriousness, if it helps, what I try and do is out of five Maths lessons a week, I do one practical lesson with no recording, two working straight in their books, one day of photo evidence and one worksheet (or 'template' as I now prefer to call them!). :) It has kept me out of trouble so far!