1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths within English

Discussion in 'English' started by pippin35, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I posted recently regarding the new Ofsted criteria of including "reading, writing, communication and mathematics" across the curriculum.
    I'm going to narrow the question to the following:
    How are English teachers planning to include Mathematics in their schemes/lesson plans to ensure they meet this new aspect of the Ofsted framework?

2. sianna

sianna New commenter

Numeracy has been included in our schemes of work for as long as I can remember. It's always been a requirement, they've just changed the name to mathematics.
    The way we include it is like this:
    Find four examples of ... find page six .... read three pages ... get into groups of four ... how many characters / settings / examples of x, y, z can you find ... read for six minutes ... you have three minutes left ... divide your page into eight ... find four words that you associate with ... find four verbs/adjectives/nouns ...

3. Graphs, tables, diagrams, charts, spreadsheets are just a few ways you can present information/ideas from texts mathematically...