1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths with the faraway tree

Discussion in 'Personal' started by barbteacher67, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hi
    Im trying to plan a whole week based around the faraway tree, any ideas for how I can link maths into it. Dont want tenuous links but thought the children would be very enthusiastic about it

Thanks

2. Hi
    Im trying to plan a whole week based around the faraway tree, any ideas for how I can link maths into it. Dont want tenuous links but thought the children would be very enthusiastic about it

Thanks

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That would very much depend on age and ability level.
    My first thought was designing the ladder up the tree. How tall is the tree? How far apart should the rungs be? How many rungs would you need?
    You could incorporate some converting of different units into that if it is appropriate for your children.

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

You could get some outdoor maths with trees going - measuring circumferences, heights... etc.

5. thanks for both suggestions
    its for ks1 was thinking maybe capacity with dame washalots washing and addition and subtraction with the magic train,circumferences and stuff sounds good ta

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

You could use the different fruits on the tree for addition/subtraction problems.
    The Saucepan Man's pots-and-pans for capacity.
    Moonface's house and slide might be used for shape and space.

And a visit to Dame Slap for anyone who doesn't get all their maths right!

And I hope you use the original version! I hate the way they have 'modernised' the names! One of the girls is <u>Fanny</u>....and it is Cousin <u>Dick</u>.

7. Calculating the time the land takes to move on.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read the original version to class but was advised to call Fanny Franny and Dick Tom. It got a bit difficult at times.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Sorry not helpful input - I used to love those stories! x

10. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Aw - I'm reading the Faraway Tree books with my boys (3 and 5) at the moment - they love them! I'm sure you could feature maths around the different lands - Land of Giants measuring height down to Silky the Fairy. You could make charts on favourite biscuits from the story - toffee pops, google buns, Mrs Saucepan's cakes..... or perhaps design their own ways of getting up and down the faraway tree. Can they make and measure a slippery slip?

11. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Dame Slap is now Dame Snap and even Beth used to be called Bessie and Joe was Jo! Grrrrr