1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star9, Aug 12, 2016.

1. star9

star9 New commenter

Hi,

I am planning a Maths week across KS1 and KS2 for next term. I have some ideas such as Maths treasure hunts, quizzes and investigations involving practical ideas.

I would be interested to hear of other people who have done a Maths week and activities that went well. It is the first time I have done this, but would obviously like it to be a success so it can be repeated.

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We did this some years back and each teacher chose an aspect and we rotated the classes each day.
    I did 'Money Maths'. So simple 'Shops' with the littlies to budgeting for the older ones.

star9 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I copied and pasted this from another poster last week, or the one before. I can't find the thread I nabbed it from, so can't give credit to the right person...but I did thank them there, so hopefully they won't mind.
    I have the idea of our year 6 children running it for an afternoon with year 3&4. Not tried it yet, but it seems perfect for your needs as well.
    At my last school, we used to run a regular 'Manage your Money' day in Lower Key Stage 2. We used to give each child a bank statement sheet to keep tabs on their income and spending, then they pulled a card out of a box with a random starting balance on it. We put out loads of games and toys (indoor and outdoor), which cost money to play. We also put out maths and English activities, which allowed the children to earn money. They could choose what they did all day. Those children who went for immediate gratification or flitted between activities soon learnt that the good times wouldn't last. Some children were enterprising and offered to do classroom maintenance jobs to earn money (and haggled with me over the wage!). Other children asked to borrow money off friends and it was an opportunity to teach them about interest and loans. They used to love it!

You could do an 'own clothes day' with a number theme. Google to get a few examples and then let the children be creative. You could ban football shirts as 'cheating' or not, parents like the easy option!

Tarquin publications have a murder mystery book which is great.
    The UKMT have some primary challenge bits which are free to download. Maybe for your more able in year 5&6, you could invite other schools to make a competition if you wanted.

star9 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I love maths week! This is a great opportunity for KS1 classes and KS2 classes to work together. Can you launch it with a cracking and engaging assembly with a great hook? Our theme was 'Triangles'. Year 6 took part in an architecture workshop and then had to 'teach' the rest of the shool what they had learned. We also had competitions based on designing triangle monsters for KS1 and Pythagoras for KS2. Maths trails and maths orienteering was also fun. There are so many links to be made with PE, science, art and English. Have fun!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.