1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths vocab

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claired82, May 26, 2017.

1. claired82

claired82 New commenter

Hi

Has anyone put together a document/poster for their room listing correct mathematical vocabulary? My TAs/LSA/student are constantly using "bigger than" for example to describe one number being greater than another. I want to hang something up so they can self-check as i dont want to keep correcting them but thought i could get them to check themselves probably (my TA particularly has very low confidence in maths and i think she would like this available)

It has been a whole school push for appropriate vocab being used, we've had training andwehave just switched to Inspire Maths although we're rolling it out year by year so havent had my training yet.

2. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Take a chill pill. What's the big(ger than) deal? 'Bigger than' is pretty important mathematical terminology in SEN teaching. I would be really annoyed if I found a teacher was publically correcting me.

teachercellar likes this.
  4. Owiti

Owiti New commenter

Hi Mathematicians,
    Could you people help me with resources regarding KS3 Grade 7 & 8 Mathematics resources especially on numbers.
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Amos.

5. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

I agree with you bigger than greater than what's the difference?

Landofla likes this.
  6. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

If you are introducing the symbols for greater than and less than, then use the "greater than/less than" terminology. I had children in Reception who got confused with the word "bigger" when looking at numerals printed in different font sizes - show me the biggest number and they pointed to the number which was printed largest rather than the one with the highest value. The OP is correct - terminology really matters in maths and it's important the whole school uses the same vocabulary. I'm pretty sure Inspire Maths will come with it's own preferred vocabulary so you could start by looking there. We had a discussion about whether to use the term "number sentence" or "equation" in KS1 and decided on the latter, but not without debate first: do you have a maths leader who could help here or a calculation policy you could look at? I have 80% EAL and 17 different languages in my Y1 classroom - it's important to make this sort of thing really clear and as straight forward as possible.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I agree mathematical terminology is really important, especially as many words have a different mathematical meaning and children need to learn them. Bigger is one example, higher is another, ie can be confused with a number in a higher position in the classroom. Take away, volume, difference, odd, all have different 'every day' meanings.
    I encourage nursery staff to get it right from the start.

squashball likes this.