1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths vacancies for older teachers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by basilicata, Mar 13, 2011.

1. A few weeks ago I posted to this forum askling what the prospects of finding a full-time maths post by September were for a 55 year old teacher. I received a very encouraging set of responses with one stating that it was almost certain that I would find a post. However, I have to report that after a dozen or so applications (and around the same number of speculative applications) I have yet to receive any offers of an interview. I did read on another forum that there was no longer a shortage of maths teachers and have been told that there will be considerable reluctance on the part of employers to take on older teachers. Does anyone know definitely what the state of play is here? James

2. A few weeks ago I posted to this forum askling what the prospects of finding a full-time maths post by September were for a 55 year old teacher. I received a very encouraging set of responses with one stating that it was almost certain that I would find a post. However, I have to report that after a dozen or so applications (and around the same number of speculative applications) I have yet to receive any offers of an interview. I did read on another forum that there was no longer a shortage of maths teachers and have been told that there will be considerable reluctance on the part of employers to take on older teachers. Does anyone know definitely what the state of play is here? James

3. DM

DM New commenter

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. The problem must be with your application form. Is there anyone who can take a look at it for you?

4. DM

DM New commenter

It is rare these days to even find an application form that asks for your date of birth so, unless you are volunteering this information, it is unlikely that anyone would know.

5. I would agree with DM that it would be good to let someone else look at your CV.

To be frank, I wouldn't be interested in your career from age 21, just the last few years and your recent experience of education. ie PGCE, visits to schools and placements.

If you continue to have no luck, ask to visit a few schools in action, maybe pretend you have a child who is interested in joining so you get a tour and get to meet the HOD and in passing say you are looking for a maths job (but don't stress this). But my advice carries no guarrantees and lots of health warnings!

Good luck. There are vacancies.

6. frustum

frustum Established commenter

They do tend to ask for qualifications with dates, and a full employment history, however. Even if they skip the dates and employment history in what's given to the short-listing team, the O-levels are a fair clue that you're over 40.

I suspect this time of year is probably going to be the worst for you (for jobs starting September, anyway): at the moment, the pick of this year's NQTs will be available, and so schools will be snapping them up. Once there are fewer of them left in the pool, then schools will probably pay for experience rather than a not-so-good NQT. And later on, they may already have appointed one NQT to start in September, so if they have another vacancy to advertise, they may prefer to avoid having a second.
    I know you said something about needing a job for September, but if you are in a position to start sooner, jobs coming up for Easter will have fewer applications.

7. I think this is spot on.
    We had huge numbers of applicants for a recent post. There are some very good people I know who have had several interviews so far and haven't yet got a job.
    Please don't be disheartened - after all, the way the government's retirement plans are going you still have a good 25 years of your working life left !
    Seriously - you should keep applying and don't be concerned if it takes until after Easter.
    Best of luck.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That always makes me laugh - no they don't ask for your date of birth but they do ask for qualifications, date of qualifications and work experience since leaving school. Doesn't take a genius to work out your age!!

9. DM

DM New commenter

But age plays no part in the shortlisting process so it doesn't matter whether we could potentially figure it out if we wanted to.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well if age plays no part and there's no such thing as ageism, then that's alright then.
    [​IMG]

11. DM

DM New commenter

That is like saying schools would not shortlist a candidate with a foreign-sounding surname or young women because they might get pregnant. We just don't operate like that. Why would we? What makes you think young teachers are better than older teachers?
    It is possible a budget-conscious Head would choose a cheaper teacher if there were two capable candidates but I understood the OP was seeking a first post so that will not be a consideration.

12. I should, perhaps, have made it clear that I am an experienced teacher. Basically, I am trying to reconcile two different views: the pessimistic view is that there is a recession on and older teachers are unlikely to get a look in. James

13. DM

DM New commenter

Well if you are expensive the sad truth is that an NQT may be more attractive to some schools if there is a sizeable field. Are you teaching at present or have you had a break from it?
    Many schools in my area receive no applications at all when they advertise mathematics vacancies but there are huge regional variations. I have no idea what the situation is in London - perhaps someone in the capital could enlighten us?

14. As a student teacher who has just got her first job, I would say job prospects are pretty tough in the South East. One University locally has 70 PGCE students in maths, who will all be looking to fill vacancies. Although, some are likely to relocate back home.
    My interview was in south west London- 2 jobs, 8 interviewees, of which only 2 were experienced teachers. I think this goes to show some schools are feeling the budget squeeze and are actively recruiting NQTs.

15. Yes, it probabaly does-hence my concern. I wonder if there is anyone at TES who knows the job market in this subject really well? Taking a worst case scenario, if I do not find a maths post by September how many days supply might I reasonably expect to get in, say, October?(This would, again, be in the London or Essex area).

James

16. DM

DM New commenter

Could you explain the situation more clearly? I am unclear about how long it has been since you held a teaching post. If you don't want to elaborate in public, private message me. I would be happy to cast an eye over your CV for you if you like.
    Although there are plenty of jobs for qualified mathematics teachers in my area, there are few supply opportunities. I would expect a good agency in London to be able to get you regular work however.

17. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

None.
    You might pick up a week or 2s cover work near the end of November, going into December.

18. DM

DM New commenter

Another nail in the coffin of the supply teacher then ...

19. James
    There is a market out there.
    You just have to be more positive and proactive.
    Most of what you have written isnt filled with positivity (this and the last post)
    "If you are good enough, you are old enough"
    "If you are old enough, you are good enough"
    Im still not sure you have disclosed your complete CV

20. In my school there were several departments that recruited people over 40 in the past few years, most experienced. Before Christmas we had a vacancy where we were really looking for someone with experience. We already had one NQT plus a couple of staff only in their second year of teaching so we really wanted someone who could chip in with some experience. We didn't get any experienced people applying.

Sadly, I think in some circumstances things might be tipped a bit against someone on the top of the pay scale but I don't think it is a general issue, in the cases I know of. Last year a local independent school advertised a maths post and only had 5 applicants (that was at the end of April) and the job went to someone on UPS3.

I'd urge the OP to take up DMs offer of a look at their CV, he's a regular poster on here and is very respected. I guess an experienced teacher really needs to show a school what extra things they have to offer over an NQT but there is certainly a demand for experience out there.

Finally, the very best of luck with your applications and I think as we mentioned before, there will be a surprising number of vacancies in the summer term after established teachers can resign and when many of the NQTs will have gone.