1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Aug 27, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi guys,
    Long story short I have some students who I can no longer tutor due to personal circumstances.
    If you dm me your links to your Facebook page/ website I will pass them on to my students.
    All year 8 - Year 11. Based in the North-west
    Maths and/or English. I have been teaching most of them online

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Hi,

I've sent you a message.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I have passed on your details.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thank you

5. geenius

geenius New commenter

Hi, I wanted to start online tuition too but I have a few questions. Could you please tell me the platform you use e.g. Zoom or something else? Also, do you tutor privately or via some other tuition company? I just want to know what precautions I would need to take if I started tutoring online in terms of writing out a contract or expecting there to be a parent/guardian present during lessons etc.
    Thanks

6. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Geenius, I hope you don't mind, but if you take a look at some of the many posts that have been posted on here over the last few days and months, it will give you an idea of things to do regarding how to set up as a tutor, what online platform people tend to use the most and whether they use a tutoring company. A lot of people (including myself) that respond to 'newbies' who ask questions have been asked this same question often, so that maybe perhaps why people are remaining quiet/or unresponsive to your query. I hope this helps. :)

cwilson1983 and gainly like this.
  7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Whatever the personal circumstances are, I hope they are resolved soon and you are able to move forward with whatever plans you had.

Best wishes

8. geenius

geenius New commenter

Thank you. I did find it odd to have no replies....makes sense now.....I did look around the forums but couldn't really find the answers, so posted the question. I will look again. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I used to always try to offer advice. Things have changed so much since March that I don't really feel able to offer useful advice any more.

10. geenius

geenius New commenter

One extra question though that I don't believe has been asked....if you are part of a union, do you need to contact them and let them know that you intend to do tuition? Is tuition even covered by them?

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

As you would be self employed I don't think there would be any point being in a union. It's not something I've ever considered

12. sue_farmer_library

sue_farmer_library New commenter

Have you passed on all your tutees, if not mesaage..thx

13. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New commenter

You can always check online, there are plenty of them

14. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Is a rusty A level in Maths good enough to tutor KS3 and GCSE Maths? Do most maths tutors have a degree in Maths?

15. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

It depends how confident you are in the subject. You shouldn’t teach anything you’re not confident in. if you feel you are capable then there is no reason why you can’t tutor Ks3 and GCSE.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Download some GCSE maths papers and see if you can do all the questions easily. If you can't you shouldn't be tutoring it. Some tutors only do the foundation GCSE maths now as they find the new harder higher GCSE too difficult. Don't take money from people for tutoring something you're not confident in yourself.

17. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

pm me I will tell you how I started if you are still stuck.

18. silversnapdragon

silversnapdragon New commenter

Hi
    Have you filled all these now. I expect you have but thought it worth a try. Unfortunately I am unable to send direct messages.