1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Tutoring?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Domobe, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Domobe

Domobe New commenter

I'm currently between jobs at the moment, and looking to take up some tutoring in mathematics. Can anyone give me any advice on this? Is it best to work with a tutoring agency, or not, and if so any suggestions? (I'm in Manchester if that's important)
    Any information anyone can give me on this would be fantastic.
    Thanks!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you work very quickly then start with the tutoring agencies and take it from there.

There will not be much going for a couple of months yet though.

3. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I actually used gumtree to post an advert for my tutoring. I also ended up tutoring a couple of children from the school I had previously taught at. Word of mouth was hugely important for me and having my tutoring services recommended 'at the school gates' was hugely beneficial.

I never used a tutoring agency so can't comment on this but I'd definitely give tutoring a go. I love it.

4. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Register with First Tutors, Tutor Hunt and The Tutor Pages - they aren't agencies so won't take a cut of your fee. You do pay to advertise on The Tutor Pages though.