1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths tuition during school hours

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mystery10, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Any ideas as to how I could pick up tuition work during school hours - I don't mind what age my tutees are. Levels wise I could teach KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4 maths.

2. I would have thought that would be impossible unless you can find home-schooled. Not sure how to find these unless they look at Tutor Agencies or Tutor boards.
    There is 1 to 1 tutoring in schools which is a Govt scheme-in 2ndary schools it seems to be wrapped up by the school. In primary it would not just be maths-just as likely to be Literacy.

3. earlybirdtutors

earlybirdtutors New commenter

Hi mystery10,
    You could advertise locally putting up posters in shops, gyms etc. An alternative, is to try advertise online. Firsttutors is a good website to use. Good luck.
    I tutor full time so if you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

During the school day would be pretty much impossible as children are generally in school. You might pick up some home tuition, try advertising on home tuition sites.
    The government 1-1 scheme in primary schools does not happen during the school day, except with very good reason (such as child travels on a school bus and could not get home otherwise) . Not sure the convenience of the tutor would count.

5. 1 to 1 tutoring in Primary schools IS happening during the day in many schools. A lot of schools found that children would not come back to school for a late session.

6. mystery10

How did I find out opportunities or sign up for this? I have qualified teacher status. At primary would they want someone just to do maths, or would I have to do literacy too? I wouldn't mind, but I would think they wouldn't have me as my qualification is for secondary science and maths.

7. I'd write to local schools with a copy of your resume/cv (I use a resume as it's more friendly and needs less detail) - explaining your strengths etc. Two years ago I did the same for supply and got quite a lot of work from one school (of the 6 I wrote to). They have offered me 1:1 tuition in the school day - in fact now I have more than I can handle. It's all about doing things differently, signing up on the 1:1 Govt website is a waste of time - no-one I know doing 1:1 got their work through anything other than knowing people in the school they're in or contacting schools directly. Good luck!

8. mystery10

Thank you for all your help.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to get pupils who are homeschooled during the day? Or do you find in general that as they only have one parents working they will not be wanting to spend money on tutoring?
    And any idea if any adults are likely to want one to one maths tuition during the school day?
    Cheers

9. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

mystery10, I have a home-schooled boy who I tutor (maths and English) during the day-time - both of his parents work, although he is 15 next week, so he doesn't exactly need full-time supervision when he's at home. His parents found my ad on one of the tutoring websites I use to advertise and contacted me through that, so I don't know how to go about recruiting home-schooled tutees in general, although I know my LEA has an advisor who looks after all the home-educated pupils in the borough, and pays them yearly visits etc. So it might be worth you seeing if yours has the same and making contact with them, if so.
    I am also doing 1:1 tuition in a primary school which takes place during school-time (2 afternoons per week) so agree with above posters that it is definitely worth sending your details to schoosl you might like to work in.
    Last year I tutored a sixth form pupil who was doing a GCSE resit, and she always had her lessons during the school day, in her free periods. So sixth form,trying to recruit some sixth form or college students might be another way of finding more day-time tutees. I've also had enquiries from adult learners who wish to take their GCSE, and I've always advertised that I'm happy to teach adults. However, I've found that they have tended to require evening lessons due to work or child-care commitments, and I don't tutor in the evenings, but there is certainly an adult tuition market out there, so you might be able to tap into it. Good luck!

10. Some school have so many pupils for thr government funded programme that they are seeking tutors for school time. I know, some in Bradford area were doing this. Contact local schools or LEA's.