1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths TRL Interview Questions!!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MissSugar124, Dec 15, 2019.

1. MissSugar124

MissSugar124 New commenter

Hi all, this is my first ever question/post on this forum, I have been apart of Tes for years but didn't know this existed! So, there was an internal Maths Leader TLR post at my school which I have applied for and was told that I have been shortlisted!! I am mega excited but also mega nervous about the interview. There is another Teacher at my school that has been acting Maths lead for the last few months (not that I have heard much from him), I imagine he too has gone for the role. Will the job automatically go to him? Or do I still stand a chance? Any tips or interview question ideas would be great. I have been told that no presentation or lesson observation is necessary, it's just an interview. Thank you in advance for any replies :):)

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't panic!

If they are interviewing you, it means that they think that you have plenty to offer them in this role. So yes, you most certainly stand a chance. And here is my advice to make the most of that chance.

You could start by looking at the person specification and job description for the role. Identify broad areas/competencies and draw up mind maps for each, with examples of what you have in the way of experience similar to that, and how you would tackle this in your new role. Just general ideas, so you aren't taken aback if they ask you about one area that you haven't even considered.

Talk to yourself aloud about the ideas you have come up with, and your personal experiences here. You may well not have actually done these tasks, but perhaps you have done something similar?

Don't forget Safeguarding and Child protection!

Be quite clear in your mind about what you have to offer the school, what your message is - draw a mind map for that too! If HRH The Duke of York had thought through beforehand what his message should have been (sympathy for victims, showing he regretted being a friend of Epstein), he wouldn't have made such a mess-up of his interview! So think what your overall message must be: I shall be effective in this role because . . . .

You might also want to have a quick search on Amazon for any books to download about an interview for a teaching job, to get more tips and fuller advice and suggestions.

But be careful!

Don't select anything American (you are not applying for a job in Chicago) nor anything about interviews in general (you are not applying for a job in John Lewis). Interview for a teaching job, in UK, is what you need.

And don't choose one that gives you the answers - if another candidate has read that book, imagine what could happen! Check out the reviews of the possibles to help you decide which is best for you. One with loads of 5 star reviews has probably been helpful to other teachers.

You can download many Amazon books directly to a Kindle, or to a phone, tablet or computer with the free Kindle App, and start reading straight away.

Good luck!

phlogiston and sabrinakat like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As Theo says.
    I would make a list of contributions you've made to the department.
    Think about things the department does well.
    Think about improvements to the department (not personalising any criticisms. Do not say that "Old Joe's scheme of work is a pile of.....")
    Think about training you might need to enable you to work with maximum effectiveness
    Be prepared to talk about what good learning and teaching look like in maths.
    be prepared to talk about a difficult topic and how you enable learners to master it.
    Behave as if nothing is a foregone conclusion until they offer the job to somebody. Remember that even if they offer it to the other person, if you come across well they will remember this should other positions of responsibility emerge in the next few months. (The opposite also applies).

TheoGriff and Piranha like this.