1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Trip to Paris

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jamiehenderson1993, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jamiehenderson1993

jamiehenderson1993 New commenter

Hi,

I'm planning a maths trip to Paris next year and am looking for a bit of help.
    We're doing the usual sights - notre dame, Musee D'Orsay, Science and Engineering museum, Seine boat tour, etc, ect. as well as Disneyland before coaching back.

I am in the process of creating a set of maths worksheets for the pupils to fill out whilst there so that I can actually convince my HT that is is a maths trip haha.
    At the moment though they are looking very contrived, and was wondering if anyone has done something similar (even if it's not to Paris), and wouldn't mind emailing me a copy for inspiration? I'm happy to share my finished copy once it's done.

my email is jamiehenderson1993@googlemail.com

Any worksheets, puzzles, busywork at all that you have that might be relevant would be gladly received.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

But it clearly isn't a maths trip. Rather than making up a reason to link it to maths (which apparently doesn't exist), surely you'd be better off convincing your HT of the benefits of the trip for the pupils (which presumably do exist)?

bonxie likes this.
  3. jamiehenderson1993

This was meant as a bit of a joke. My Head Teacher has already given me the green light to run it, provided I can produce this workbook. Disney run lectures which are numeracy based, and I'm putting together a mock up of some maths workbook. We've had the chat about pupil benefit

Thank you for the response

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Why on earth would you need to take the pupils all the way to Paris just to do maths worksheets? The costs for the parents will be huge. Can you justify asking them to spend all that money so that their children can do some maths worksheets? Surely the students can do similar maths tasks based on buildings in your local area.

If your intention was to take the students to Paris to practise their French, learn about French culture, experience eating traditional French food in authentic French restaurants, study the artworks in the galleries and interact with the science exhibits in the science museum etc, then this trip to Paris would make perfect sense.

Once I got to that sentence, I had to check the date on your post as I assumed that it must have been an April Fools Day joke. Since it was posted today, I'm now convinced you're a troll trying to wind us up. I really do hope this is the case.

nomad likes this.
  5. jamiehenderson1993

Thanks for your input.

6. andrewchambers

andrewchambers New commenter

You could add the Grande Arche:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Arche
    Built to be a 3D projection of a tesseract - that's a pretty interesting topic to explore.

Pollock's paintings (I assume there are plenty these around!) - fractals

An exploration based around some of the great French mathematicians: Pascal, Descartes, Poincare, Galois [plus many others..]

etc etc.

7. jamiehenderson1993

This is the sort of thing I was thinking - a more investigative approach to the maths they'll actually see there! Thanks so much for this.

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Could you not widen it, so that the agenda is very cross-curricular? Ask every subject what they would want to draw kids' attention to, rather than linking everything to maths. I think you'll get better overall educational value if you do. I think I'd be more likely to sign my child up for a broad educational trip than one with maths shoe-horned into each day.

9. andrewchambers

andrewchambers New commenter

this is a good idea - maths and art would be a really nice combination and would fit well with the sights in Paris.