1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths trip to Paris

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by welshmathsgeek, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have never planned a school trip before, but after discussions with the HOD, and trying to enthuse students about maths, we are thinking of planning a school trip to Paris. I was wondering if anyone had any previous experience / advice they could give me with this?
    So far I have looked at 'study experiences' and one or two other companies, but I can't seem to find that many places that offer these types of excursions.

Any help will be gratefully received!

2. Hi all,
    I have never planned a school trip before, but after discussions with the HOD, and trying to enthuse students about maths, we are thinking of planning a school trip to Paris. I was wondering if anyone had any previous experience / advice they could give me with this?
    So far I have looked at 'study experiences' and one or two other companies, but I can't seem to find that many places that offer these types of excursions.

Any help will be gratefully received!

3. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I have no personal experience of residential trips in maths but have seen threads on this before, I just searched the maths forum 'Maths trips to Paris' and found lots of info.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/searchResults.aspx?area=staffroom&keywords=trip to paris&cmd=AddPm&val=CSSECTIONID|25
    Not sure that links going to work but just search and you'll find the old threads.

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

No, the above link is taking you where I wanted. Use the search facility 'search forums' and you should find a few threads on maths trips to Paris and Greece!

5. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

The link is not working.

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

A trip may do lots of things - it may just be fun - it may build teacher pupil realationships - it may contribute to a pecific learning objective etc.
    But will it enthuse students about a subject they otherwise dislike - I doubt it.
    To do that you will need to look at the way it is delivered day in day out.

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Oh come on you two. I'm not suggesting that the kids will get half way up the Eiffel Tower, chuck someones bag over, then get their notebooks and calculators to work out how long it will take to reach the ground.
    We do have wider responsibilities as teachers of children. If you can squeeze some maths in somewhere, then all well and good. I've never been to the trenches and it doesn't stop me understanding the first world war. However, I'd have enjoyed the opportunity to go and visit, whilst at school. Paris is full of learning opportunities, much of the opportunities are spontaneous, and you never know what they might take away from it. Go with the flow. Why does everything have to be a planned learning experience....?

8. Hi googopleex
    The bolded bit is my point. It could be argue that such a trip is an excuse for a hoilday rather than something to push maths in a school. I think bang for buck its not ideal, has a very flimsy link with the subject and can often be divise in many schools.
    Im aware of the 'Maths Paris trip' package yet feel there are more effective ways to include kids in maths and include maths in the school life.
    A trip to a good uni, having an inspirational speaker or workshop onsite or similar IMO is far easier to justify and far more inclusive/productive than 3-5 days holidaying.
    If the trip is sold as a holiday which will include some maths then I agree. If its seen as a maths trip then no.

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Googolplex - Read my post - I clearly emphasised that such trips have many benefits.
    I still do believe it is likely to make the children enthusiastic about maths as the OP suggested.

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

* I still dont believe

11. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Maybe thats becasue they feel like I do - that a trip to Paris is not the best way to teach Maths.
    Of course if you just plan to visit for "other reasons" then surely you cant possibly be struggling to find things to do or ways of getting there?

12. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Anyone who imagines that these 'curriculum' trips are, first and foremost, anything other than a holiday has their head in the sand. I've been on languages trips before and seen very little by way of 'learning' going on, apart from a bit of time for some kids to go into a shop and speak a couple of sentences in French. That's not to say, though, that they are not worthwhile. Why should languages get their chance for a 'holiday' and not maths...?
    FWIW, I've never found the Paris trip flyers particularly enticing, but mainly because our head wouldn't countenance such a trip anyway, and I think that's a real shame.
    Agree that there is lots of value in the speaker/workshop idea for the right kind of students - but you've got to be looking at more able mathematicians, really, so I'm not sure they are completely 'inclusive'. We've had speakers come in to work with whole year groups in various sorts of ways, and most of the kids just messed around. Waste of money. However, I'll be booking my 6th formers and top end Year 11s for the next Inspiration Day lecture very shortly - that was really good last year.

13. lizlucy

lizlucy New commenter

Tandy
    I have booked to take year 9 to paris in October half term.
    Your worksheets look excellent - the journey time one is very similar to the one provided by the tour company but the La Villette certainly extends what they provided which is just for the Maths bit.
    Have you been recently? Just wondered if worksheet is still valid.
    Also I know its cheeky but I noticed that the examples you gave were on emaths and wondered if it was possible to see the portfolio of tasks on there? I did try but couldn't get to them.
    Btw I think emaths is wonderful, an excellent resource bank which our pupils and staff use regularly.
    Also do you have the info about laws for coachs and school trips that you mention above?
    Thanks