1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Treasure Hunt

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ksc6, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ksc6

ksc6 New commenter

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can offer any suggestions... I teach Year 3/4 and next week we are beginning Block D of the framework where we are looking at position and movement, co-ordinates etc. My LSA is busy making a "treasure map" of the school grounds on squared paper and I plan for it to be 'mysteriously appearing' in my classroom on Tuesday morning with some instructions about how to find the "treasure" (which I think will end up being food-related but haven't decided yet).
    I'm planning to leave some clues (e.g. face North, turn clockwise through a right angle, walk two steps forward etc) and was thinking I could leave further clues each day in certain locations (e.g. Today look in square B3 for your next clue, which could be the slide or something like that).
    I was really hoping to somehow incorporate the boring week from hell that is 'Time' into this somehow, just to make it a bit more interesting, but so far have only thought that the person 'leaving the clues' might want some help solving some time-related problem. That's about as far as I've got and I'm not sure a) if I'm being too ambitious or b) if it's a **** idea!
    Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, pointers in the direction of resources would be gratefully appreciated!
    Thanks
    ksc6

2. ksc6

ksc6 New commenter

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can offer any suggestions... I teach Year 3/4 and next week we are beginning Block D of the framework where we are looking at position and movement, co-ordinates etc. My LSA is busy making a "treasure map" of the school grounds on squared paper and I plan for it to be 'mysteriously appearing' in my classroom on Tuesday morning with some instructions about how to find the "treasure" (which I think will end up being food-related but haven't decided yet).
    I'm planning to leave some clues (e.g. face North, turn clockwise through a right angle, walk two steps forward etc) and was thinking I could leave further clues each day in certain locations (e.g. Today look in square B3 for your next clue, which could be the slide or something like that).
    I was really hoping to somehow incorporate the boring week from hell that is 'Time' into this somehow, just to make it a bit more interesting, but so far have only thought that the person 'leaving the clues' might want some help solving some time-related problem. That's about as far as I've got and I'm not sure a) if I'm being too ambitious or b) if it's a **** idea!
    Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, pointers in the direction of resources would be gratefully appreciated!
    Thanks
    ksc6

3. Could they time themselves as to how long the take to solve each clue with stopwatches and record on a sheet?
    I guess it might be too confusing if you used turn to 3:00 oclock like fighter pilots say "bogie at 12:00 o'clock" or whatver it is.
    How about just inlcuding 1/4 turn, half turn and 3/4 turn as these at least link to clock faces?

4. ksc6

ksc6 New commenter

Ooh I like the idea of doing the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 turn thing to link to a clock face. That would lead me in more nicely to doing the time stuff the week after.
    Thanks
    ksc6