1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths topics used in KS3/4 science (esp. physics)

Discussion in 'Science' started by AshgarMary, Apr 1, 2012.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I was in a school a couple of weeks ago and saw a fantastic (IMHO) initiative between the maths and science departments where they are joining up maths and science classes (pairs of Year 7 groups which happened to be timetabled sequentially - 46 students, 2 hour class, 2 teachers - one from maths and one from science) and jointly teaching the maths topics that will be used in science in the first couple of years. They were doing probability when I visited and had just done graphs. The students really seemed to be getting a lot out of it and enjoying it.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there exists a list of the various maths skills that are needed in KS3/4 sciences (or indeed other subjects that may have a mathematical skill requirement such as geography etc.)? I have used the mighty google but not found anything yet.

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I was in a school a couple of weeks ago and saw a fantastic (IMHO) initiative between the maths and science departments where they are joining up maths and science classes (pairs of Year 7 groups which happened to be timetabled sequentially - 46 students, 2 hour class, 2 teachers - one from maths and one from science) and jointly teaching the maths topics that will be used in science in the first couple of years. They were doing probability when I visited and had just done graphs. The students really seemed to be getting a lot out of it and enjoying it.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there exists a list of the various maths skills that are needed in KS3/4 sciences (or indeed other subjects that may have a mathematical skill requirement such as geography etc.)? I have used the mighty google but not found anything yet.

3. Look on the science syllabuses. Ours tells us the mathematical skills the pupils need and equations they are expected to be able to remember or use if given.