1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Thoughts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, May 10, 2017.

1. mcguirkj

mcguirkj New commenter

My son completed these papers today and I am disgusted with the level of cheating that goes on. He reported one tap for wrong and a circle sign to tell a child that they had missed something and needed to go back through. I understand the pressure primary teachers feel. However, there are too many opportunities to cheat and this only makes the pressure more intense for secondary schools at Key Stage 4.

2. Haveblue

Haveblue New commenter

If that is actually what happened then it needs to be reported to the STA as maladministration.

Northhead and tedhat like this.
  3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm sure plenty of cheating goes on, just like it does in KS4. However, not all schools are like that.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It does annoy me though. My results are gained by playing by the rules whilst I know others bend or break the same rules.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I agree. I know that the tables, published in December, can be a source of amazement. Some of the results I have seen could only have been achieved with divine intervention. :eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. tedhat

tedhat Occasional commenter

So, the teacher must have explained the 'code' (for want of a better word) to them beforehand so they understood the tapping/circling? I am stunned. That must also mean, surely, that other adults in the room are aware (as it would look rather odd and could surely be picked up by others observing/assisting). I agree with other posters - needs to be reported I'm not entirely sure I agree that it hugely increases pressure for KS 3/4 etc though - suspect most KS4 teachers would views SATs at the end of KS2 as irrelevant (I know the KS 3/4/5 students themselves do). In my opinion, it is far more unfair on the rest of the primary schools where we are battling away and doing things strictly by the book as well as, obviously, skewing the results for those pupils who have been advantaged unfairly - they'll fall back to earth once they get put in the wrong set in Year 7.

Smythy106, Northhead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

Report,report,reports this type of practice is unfair on the rest of the schools who are completing these ridiculous tests in an honest manner.

Northhead likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Are you, perchance, a secondary teacher @mcguirkj ?

tedhat likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Only one more to go people...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

As a head who does everything on making sure it is all done above aboard, I would urge you to report this to the STA. I am sick of having my results compared to others locally/ nationally who cheat. Let's at least have a level playing field- do you think this is the first year they've done that? I think not....

tedhat, abacus1982 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I know of a school which drew from a difficult catchment but somehow had 3 consecutive years of above average results. Then one year it broke that they were cheating, was in the press etc and they had their results annulled for every subject.

The next year their results halved.

tedhat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. TweedJacket

TweedJacket New commenter

Today's was much tougher than yesterday's. It always seems so deflating to finish on the hardest test... anyway, they're over and done with now...

tedhat and laura.cooke like this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Agreed - Today quite a bit tougher...

laura.cooke likes this.
  14. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

I thought today's paper was pretty much spot on in terms of the question types. Most of the questions were accessible (it dropped off a cliff difficulty-wise near the end) and there were no 'trick' questions or badly worded ones.

That said, it was tough, but I guess that's the point.

janeeaves likes this.
  15. Smythy106

Smythy106 New commenter

Incredible what goes on in some schools. Very unfair to those that play completely by the rules and then get compared to schools that are cheating. Not just bad for other schools but most importantly doing the children no favours whatsoever...and isn't that why we teach after all? To get the best out of the children.

16. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

It is quite right for you to be disgusted at that particular incident (and, as others have said, you should rapidly and formally report it in writing to the school's Headteacher and Governors).
    But your phrasing 'the level of cheating that goes on' seems utterly unjustified. It will only 'go on' if you allow it to - by not reporting it formally.

MMT (Secondary Maths, as it happens, but with no axe to grind against my Primary colleagues)

Lara mfl 05 and tedhat like this.
  17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Personally, I thouight it was nice to see Chen back again. I haven't seen him for a few years...

18. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

Garbage. How on earth do you think cheating is possible in the main KS4 (GCSE) English/Maths exams?
    I suppose there's a very small number of SEN students who may be allowed to sit exams in a different room with different supervision arrangements, where isolated incidents of mis-practice could occur, but it would be on a very, very small scale.

MMT (Secondary Maths, but active in supporting local Year 6's in SATS preparation)

19. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

Good result.
    Any chance you could give a reference to the relevant press article? It sounds well-handled.

20. emeraldrach

emeraldrach New commenter

I had tears today.... first time this week. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the content as it was what I expected (and revised yesterday for a little while) they just found it really tricky! I don't think any got to the end, praying they got enough on the other 2 papers!