1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Thoughts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, May 10, 2017.

1. WB

WB Star commenter

Paper 1 seemed OK.

2. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

That second paper - the way it was worded was a bit of a mare. The actual maths involved wasn't too bad once they understood what they were supposed to do but that's only if they understood. Otherwise, it was rubbish.

piggely1 likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

As with the English papers - Easier than last year!

4. misshughessph

I preferred last years.

emmac1982 likes this.
  5. emeraldrach

emeraldrach New commenter

I thought arithmetic was ok but wording in paper 2 was tricky!

piggely1 likes this.
  6. MK teacher

MK teacher New commenter

Paper 2 was tricky due to wording, maths involved wasn't that hard, Paper 1 wasn't as easy as lasts years paper and several of ours struggled with pacing themselves.

7. tedhat

tedhat Occasional commenter

I don't agree that it was easier than last year... paper 2 was weird. Weird diagrams and pictures that didn't help, weird wording. Some of my LA struggled to finish. Arithmetic was much of a muchness although rather a lot of a couple of types of questions, I felt. Am hoping for a nice Paper 3 now! Have a few ideas for things that could come up tmrw now though!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    piggely1 likes this.
  8. RegulatorWatts

RegulatorWatts New commenter

Arithmetic had everything I'd expected . No problem with the methods but agreed it made pacing tough for some due to the types of questions.

Have to agree the wording was tough on reasoning as well. Had to read a lot of questions out several times. A lot of mine struggled to decipher what they were being asked to do.

9. tedhat

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

No way was that easier than last year. Arithmetic was alright, but paper 2 was worded to trip the children up. I know that's what fluency and mastery is all about, but under timed test conditions all that goes out the window.

piggely1, tedhat and misshughessph like this.
  11. damo6bomb

damo6bomb New commenter

Echo the comments of others really. I believe Paper 1, although harder than last year, was perfectly fair. Paper two was a language test trying to understand what they were being asked to do. Some of the pictures led the children to believe something that they weren't being asked to do. Also, like last year, I didn't think there was much of an 'ease you in' to begin with.

piggely1 likes this.
  12. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

Please can everyone remember the guidance about discussing current tests which has been posted in the following thread:

https://community.tes.com/threads/sats-week-predictions.756845/page-3#post-12080383

The test materials, including unused test papers and English reading booklets, must be kept secure until Friday 19 May. Other schools may be administering the tests using timetable variations until Thursday 18 May and it is essential no pupils are advantaged or disadvantaged.
    Teachers and test administrators must not discuss the content of the test papers with anyone. In particular, specific content that could compromise a test must not be discussed on social media or published online

You can discuss your views about the tests but please do not reveal details about the questions, order or questions, words etc.

Thank you.

piggely1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. misshughessph

14. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Please can everyone remember not to post details of the current tests - this includes questions, topics, order of the questions, spellings of words etc.

I've posted numerous reminders in the Sats threads and there is a pinned post at the top of the Primary forum landing page so everyone should be aware of this rule when discussing assessments/exams.

If there are posts revealing the content of the current tests action will be taken and other sanctions will be imposed.

You can give your views about the tests but do not reveal details about them. Thank you. Please remember the guidance posted above.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. tedhat

I appear to have been told off for mentioning an Australian animal and a minor 'rude' word as an adjective to describe it!

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's because that could be construed as 'details' @tedhat. EDIT in red.

tedhat likes this.
  17. misshughessph

o_OI didn't mention what was on todays test either. I just mentioned what wasn't...! :p

18. Gamina

Gamina New commenter

Arithmetic was much of a muchness; the children seemed to finish in time and many had enough to check back through. Paper 2 was difficult in its wording not in its maths. My lowers did not finish and we were flat out with hands being raised requesting questions being read as they couldn't quite work out what was being asked. I think they did reasonably well considering and always nice to have a little idea of what is going to come up tomorrow.

19. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I thought both papers were reasonable.

20. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I agree with most people. Paper 1 was fine but the wording and weird questions threw some of mine. Good luck to all Year 6 and their teachers for their final paper.

piggely1 and tedhat like this.