1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths theme week - any recommendations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ictvc09, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ictvc09

ictvc09 New commenter

I have been asked to organise a maths theme week for this half term.
    It might include a company/individual who is paid to do some input.
    It must be accessible for students on the Autistic spectrum at all levels to dip in and out. Generally working at P6-L3.

I am struggling to know how to go about it - anyone done anything similar?

2. dinkythecat

dinkythecat New commenter

I organised a maths week last year and used a company called Architecture Workshops (I think!) If you google them, I'm sure they'll pop up!

They were great. They were in for a day and ran workshops through KS1 and KS2, not FS though although they might do. Real contextual shape maths, building towers, castles, the Taj Mahal and a giant tetrahedron! Incredibly hands on and engaging for the kids.

3. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

We have one termly - first was linking maths to a specific PoS through school to show progression (we are Juniors only) - so we looked at Area and Perimeter and linked to a school project of developing the school playground and field area (a school council development on their action plan). Our second one was linked to the stories of David Walliams, where the stories were used to contextualise maths problems. Each year group focussed on a specific story and we explored aspects of problem solving through them, which was really successful. Staff were asked to plan in their teams and tease out opportunities for problem solving activities with their year group. No expensive bought in teams ....

Hope these ideas help a bit ;-)