1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths theme day

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Lalaland05, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I need to plan a maths themed day.

Year 1 and Year 2.

I was thinking of a fairytale theme?

First session everyone needs to break the code to go to the party?

Second session - children to bake a gingerbread man. ingredients. Using add subtract.
    Year 2: multiplication

Not sure what else to do? Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

some form of measuring ?
    A treasure hunt involving Maths questions or shapes
    obviously adapted to the theme.

Lalaland05 likes this.
  3. chrisb2004

chrisb2004 New commenter

I don't think anyone would be able to help that much with a superficial theme like fairytales, that's just changing the words and graphic design into the theme. Perhaps try to tie everything together with one theme which is maths relevant.

Cooking sounds like a good one if you can actually get them into a kitchen at some point (I don't know if this is possible in primary), they could do maths behind the ingredients to make a simple cupcake mix (units, measurement and ratio) then you could put them in the oven and do some maths behind the timings. There's cake mixes you can put in a mug too if you have a microwave.

They could do some sort of maths to decorate the cupcakes too, such as making a 5x5 timestable grid out of the cupcakes and having specific cupcake case colours depending on the property of the number on it (eg green for even, red for odd).

Lalaland05 likes this.
  4. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

Cupcake sounds good!
    Measurig sounds good too.

It’s for KS1 so I wanted to make it fun.. the children like disney/fairytale so I was trying to link that into the day.

5. chrisb2004

chrisb2004 New commenter

You want to make the maths fun so they want to do maths lessons in the future, not make fairytales fun (that's already fun)!

What is more fun than getting something tasty to eat directly because of the maths you did?

Another nice link maths usually has is to art.

6. sarahtaylor999

sarahtaylor999 New commenter

What about making pointy hats (wizards/princesses) lining paper is prefect for them and you can decorate with maths words /shapes they can have tails coming out of the top with crepe paper. They are easy to make and kids love having something to wear plus lots of vocab with the words. ( you could print out the words and they need to match them with a print out of the shape)